Bosch Washing machine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

My washing a bosch WFF2000 an "A" rated approximately 8-10 years old is consuming power 100kWh in 1.5 hour washing cycle. I received a hefty electric bill over a week. Last quarter my home consumed 3359kWh of power.

Having spoken to npower I was advised to carry a few simple tests to detemine excessive power consumption. I took 4 consective meter readings at the same time at 24 hour interval. My home was consuming 8kWh of electricity each day.

Today mrs basecoat did two washes and the power consumtion shot to 108 kWh. That explains the hefty electric bill. Is there a way of finding out which component in the machine is consuming so much power. Is my machine repairable or shall I be looking at alternatives. Power consumption at that rate will prove very very expensive.

Sponsored Links
do it again and see whan the needle spins faster, my money is on the heater

Basecoat said:
My washing a bosch WFF2000 an "A" rated approximately 8-10 years old is consuming power 100kWh in 1.5 hour washing cycle.

impossible
100kWh in 1.5 hours is 66 kW average consumption

66,000 watts at (say) 230v is 280 Amps.

JohnD said:
Basecoat said:
My washing a bosch WFF2000 an "A" rated approximately 8-10 years old is consuming power 100kWh in 1.5 hour washing cycle.

impossible
100kWh in 1.5 hours is 66 kW average consumption

66,000 watts at (say) 230v is 280 Amps.
Hi "johnD"

I am not a electrics person. I am going by what my electric meter readings are:

19/09/07 82748
20/09/07 82756
21/09/07 82764
22/09/07 82864 approximately 5kg load of washing done twice each washing cycle is 1.5hrs

Correction its 92kWh not 100kwh as quoted in error.

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
do it again and see whan the needle spins faster, my money is on the heater

Hi breezer

Isn't the washing machine drawing hot water from combi boiler. If it isn't then it must be heating it itself. How can I find out.

Basecoat said:
Hi "johnD"

I am not a electrics person. I am going by what my electric meter readings are:

I think you have misplaced the decimal point. remember the washer has a 13Amp fuse in the plug (approx 3kW max). They all run the heater to bring the water to temp, but if you fill it with hot this will not take so long.

JohnD is correct

a wm (and wd) will initially fill (tumble a bit too) the go into "heat pause" this is when the heater comes on to heat the water.

if you pull the soap drawer open and listen very carefully you can hear what sounds like a kettle begining to boil

He may have got his current/power calculations wrong but there is no denying a hefty electricity bill - something is generating large amounts of power - get one of those plug-in devices that read power consumption as it happenbs (B&Q sell them) and then you will be able to see at what cycle the power shoots up.

breezer said:
Hi All

Thanks for your responses. I am not a electrical person but how come my last quartly bill was £152 for 1250 kWh of power consumption. My latest bill is £395.81 for 3359 kWh of power consumption.

Mrs basecoat is not happy for the latest bill. She hand washed this morning and spun washing in the machine. The meter dial was steady. Some component in washing cycle is consuming limitless power. The suspect component is heater. How do I check it.

Basecoat said:
How do I check it.

trap0001 said:
He may have got his current/power calculations wrong but there is no denying a hefty electricity bill - something is generating large amounts of power - get one of those plug-in devices that read power consumption as it happenbs (B&Q sell them) and then you will be able to see at what cycle the power shoots up.

breezer said:

Suggestion :- Read and record meter values on a monthly basis - the data will be invaluable at some stage of the game, having it is important.
=========================

Also from Maplins I have 2 of these, Maplins reduce the cost from time to time, they seem to work well with little difference between their readings.
Click for Maplins 2
l61aq_withplug.jpg

There are other models which utilise batteries, could be a better option.
If the power is cut, switch or supply, the above meter resets the kWh / time counters... Can be annoying... Not half as annoying as the blooming freezer using 70 Watts an hour at 22°C ambient !!
:D

PS. Just noticed the current spec.
Note:
The typical accuracy for voltage is in
the range of 190V-250V; and for current is
in the range of O.2A-15A.

Whereas on my spec sheet :-
Note:
The accuracy = X% of (reading + range)
Where X for voltage is 1% max 0.2% typical...
I found that off putting
0.01(240+60)=3 volts max error : 0.6 Volt typical.

:confused:

Suggestion :- Read and record meter values on a monthly basis - the data will be invaluable at some stage of the game, having it is important.
=========================

Also from Maplins I have 2 of these, Maplins reduce the cost from time to time, they seem to work well with little difference between their readings.
Click for Maplins 2
l61aq_withplug.jpg

There are other models which utilise batteries, could be a better option.
If the power is cut, switch or supply, the above meter resets the kWh / time counters... Can be annoying... Not half as annoying as the blooming freezer using 70 Watts an hour at 22°C ambient !!
:D

PS. Just noticed the current spec.
Note:

Whereas on my spec sheet :-
Note:
The accuracy = X% of (reading + range)
Where X for voltage is 1% max 0.2% typical...
I found that off putting
0.01(240+60)=3 volts max error : 0.6 Volt typical.

:confused:
Hi "empip"

Thanks buddy. This is the one I bought the other night. I have tested each of my appliances with it. npower suggested my washing machine may be the cause for high power usage. It's not. I suspect its the fridge freezer because that gave the highest kWh figure over 15 hour measuring period. I read 1.90 kwh. At this rate it would add up to quite a figure in three months.

Hi breezer

I bought the power test meter from maplins as you suggested. I have tested all of my sockets being used. Also my skil circular saw I suspected may have caused usage of high power. One appliance has the highest kWh rate. That is my fridge freezer. Over a 15 hour measuring period it consumed 1.90kWh of power. This figure would add up over 3 month period. Could you explain how is power consumption measured.

you are probably paying (in very rough average) about 10p per kWh

(you can look up the actual price on your bill, but this is near enough when looking as cost per appliance).

Heating appliances (including water heaters) are always the most expensive. e.g. a fan heater or immersion heater costs about 30p per hour.

a 100W light bulb costs about 1p per hour.

A 20W compact fluorescent lamp runs for about 5 hours for 1p

There is nothing you can run off a 13Amp fused plug that costs more than about 30p per hour.

An electric oven uses less than this on average (because the thermostat turn off the element when it reaches preset temperature). An electric hob uses more if all rings are "on"

An electric shower uses several times more.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back