Bosch Washing machine

you are probably paying (in very rough average) about 10p per kWh

(you can look up the actual price on your bill, but this is near enough when looking as cost per appliance).

Heating appliances (including water heaters) are always the most expensive. e.g. a fan heater or immersion heater costs about 30p per hour.

a 100W light bulb costs about 1p per hour.

A 20W compact fluorescent lamp runs for about 5 hours for 1p

There is nothing you can run off a 13Amp fused plug that costs more than about 30p per hour.

An electric oven uses less than this on average (because the thermostat turn off the element when it reaches preset temperature). An electric hob uses more if all rings are "on"

An electric shower uses several times more.

Hi "JohnD"

I don't understand where has npower got 3359kWh of energy usage last quarter. My previous two bills were nowhere near as £400.00 a quarter. received meter check confirmation from npower. I am told there is a £60 charge if my meter is found not faulty. Is this correct.

Sponsored Links
don't know about the charge, sorry.

If you have kept your old bills it is worth going over them to see how many were estimates and how many were actual. if not your supplier can probably tell you. You can draw a graph of usage per quarter and look for anything odd. I presume you ae not living in rented or shared accommodation where someone might be stealing your electricity or using growing lamps in the loft, and you have no heated fishtanks or shed heaters.

A large bill often happens where readings have been inaccurately estimated in the past.

also take frequent readings of your meter and observe if it is going round at the rate you would expect (at least once a week, and have a look each day if you are worried). If you have a tumble drier, take a reading before and after using it.

if you have e.g. an immersion heater or other heating appliance running it will use a lot; or if you have an electric shower which is used for long periods.

It is possible to get a clamp meter to put on you supply tails, this wil tell you how many amps the whole house is using. I don't know if there is a cheap one that is any good. It has no electrical contact with the wires but is put round them

don't know about the charge, sorry.

If you have kept your old bills it is worth going over them to see how many were estimates and how many were actual. if not your supplier can probably tell you. You can draw a graph of usage per quarter and look for anything odd. I presume you ae not living in rented or shared accommodation where someone might be stealing your electricity or using growing lamps in the loft, and you have no heated fishtanks or shed heaters.

A large bill often happens where readings have been inaccurately estimated in the past.

also take frequent readings of your meter and observe if it is going round at the rate you would expect (at least once a week, and have a look each day if you are worried). If you have a tumble drier, take a reading before and after using it.

if you have e.g. an immersion heater or other heating appliance running it will use a lot; or if you have an electric shower which is used for long periods.

It is possible to get a clamp meter to put on you supply tails, this wil tell you how many amps the whole house is using. I don't know if there is a cheap one that is any good. It has no electrical contact with the wires but is put round them

Hi "johnD"

Thanks for taking time to respond. I have doing most of you have mentioned. Power consumption varies slightly. More power is used in winter than in summer. I have no immersion heater, no electric shower. What I do use is my power tools now and again. I used my circular yesterday for 20 mins and the power consumed was 0.03 kWh.

I noticed the dial surges for one to two revs now and again, than spins at normal revs. Two things come to mind either the meter is faulty or the meter reader muddled the figures.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back