Bosch WFF1201 Drum not turning

It seems that TI sold this group of products a long time ago and they are now manufactured by Sensata. I found their UK distributers and a nice man said that he would be very happy to supply the item if I ordered 2,000 of them.

I then phoned my local repair shop to ask for the price of a new motor. When he stopped laughing, the man quoted me £260 which he then said he could drop down to £190 out of sympathy.

I then heard that, if I were to give the offending component a sharp tap with a small metalic object, it MIGHT release the contact IF it was stuck. It worked for me and, after re-assembly, I am now getting the correct resistor readings on the motor's connector tags.

I hope this helps someone,

John.

Sponsored Links
This is a really helpful thread - thank you to those who have contributed to it.
I replaced brushes, initially had an open circuit on 4/5. Tapped the component and it did solve that problem. However on re-assembling the motor and fitting new fuses I have an open circuit on 2/3! This circuit was ok originally
Anyone got any ideas on this?
Regards,
Gavin

Gavin,

I am not a washing machine technician, I am only passing on what I have learnt.

But I was wondering if somehow the contacts on the frame that links the main connector to the motor coils may have become damaged or one of the contacts 'missed' its location when you re-assembled it? Try and trace back to the actual motor coil and test the resistance there.

Sorry that is all I can offer, Good luck,

John.

John, you were correct. I had visually inspected but just dismantling and re-assembling seems to have sorted it so it must have been a dodgy connection.
In summary the advice here that I found helpful was:
1. After draining the machine fully turn it upside down
2. Brushes can then be removed and inspected. Videos on the net like this (which appears top be my machine) http://www.espares.co.uk/advice/was...o-replace-the-carbon-brushes-on-a-washin.html
3. New brushes can be had for less than £10 inc postage - not Bosch originals. One of them was a bit tight so needed scraping with a knife to reduce its size. I found a local repairer who carried them in stock as they are quite common. This was quickest way of getting them especially just before xmas with snow disruption.
4. Whilst you don't need to remove the motor if you know what you are doing I think it worthwhile for non-professionals. (You could even take the motor to your local repairer and get them to fit the brushes etc). I was able to remove mine without removing any panels just turn the machine upside down.
5 You should not have an open circuit across the adjacent pairs of terminals. Pins 1 and 8 are not connected at all. Someone has posted the resistance across other terminals. Mine was in some cases a little outside these ranges but could be my measurement.
Pins 2&3 should have resistance of 0.8 to 1.4 ohms
Pins 4&5 should have resistance of 10.8 to 10 ohms. These pins go to the brushes via the "fuse". Actually it is a heat activated and should reset. The great tip was if this gave an open circuit then tap it - worked for me. I ddisassembledthe motor to get at it but in retrospect you can get to it through the motor housing.
Pins 6&7 should have resistance of 14 to 130 ohms

I hope this helps someone else!

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I had similar problem with my Bosch ClasisXX 1400 Express. First the problem was caused by worn motor brushes. Replaced it and the washing machine worked a week or so then it started to trip the mains circuit breaker.

Opened the washing machine up again and re-inserted the brushes. Now it doesn't trip the mains circuit breaker but the motor is not spinning now. From this thread I gather that the problem is probably with the AM15 thermal fuse in the motor. So I thought I measure the resistance as per this thread then realised my motor (number 151 60000 72) has 7 pins and not 6, so can't make use of the resistance values listed here.

Opened up the motor anyway as I have nothing to lose and everything to gain (ie not having to spend £400+ for a new washing machine). Found the AM15 thermal fuse and measured the resistance across it and it was open circuit. Used the tip regarding tapping the AM15 thermal fuse to re-set it. It took serveral taps (more like controlled wracks, as by now I really have nothing to lose when the sharp taps didn't reset the fuse) to finally reset the AM15 to get a non-open circuit reading.

Assembled the motor and here are my resistance readings;

pin 2 - 3 = 2 ohm
pin 4 - 5 = 4.1 ohm
pin 6 - 7 = 24.5 ohm

No open circuits so guessed everything is fine. Tested the washing machine and now the drum turns and it complete the wash cycle as normal. Fab

Like one or two others I whacked my 15AM 253A (oo-er missus) at John's suggestion. It worked and saved me a new motor, oh and my marriage. Thanks John

The posts on this subject WFF1401 no spin were still spot on. I have managed to diagnose and repair my Bosch 1401 using the brushes and thermal fuse info with the addition of repairing a blown track on the circuit board. Thank you all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back