Boss White v. PTFE....or nothing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Always use Boss White only on compression olives. If you see PTFE on compression fitting you'll know it's been a DaftyDIYer or course cowboy that's tightened that up. Be warned it could blow apart in your hands with these two types of chancers doing the job!!

I wonder if Dan is going to claim it doesn't work.

I wonder if Dan is going to tell us he has never had a leaking joint.

Sponsored Links
I can see Dan resents hearing that PTFE gives a clean and effective seal on olives.

He can't deny that it does, though.

if PTFE gives a clean and effective seal on an olive (which it does) what are you arguing about?

I have not asked you to take advice.

I use PTFE tape as rarely as possible, as nearly every time I do use it, the joint leaks! Here in Hungary there are no compression fittings but lots of fittings using pipe threads. I have started using liquid PTFE but it never sets so you gradually get a small puddle of the stuff under the joint, at which point (usually after about a week) it starts to leak. I don't mean anything as bad as a drip but the fitting is wet if you touch it with your finger.
When I had the appliance repair business I found some customers were even using PTFE tape on the threads of washing machine hose connections. That definitely makes them more likely to leak, as the nut can go tight before the rubber washer starts to get compressed. :rolleyes:

if PTFE gives a clean and effective seal on an olive (which it does) what are you arguing about?

I have not asked you to take advice.

It doesn't make the joint "stronger" you **************** It might take up any imperfections betwixt the two sealing surfaces. Which shouldn't be there anyway.

Routine use of ptfe on olives is only helpful for alerting professionals that some prat has been at the plumbing and to expect problems.

why have you added the word "stronger" you fool?

but you don't deny that PTFE tape on an olive gives a clean and effective seal (which it does)

are you trying the "my joints never leak" story?

Why don't you want people to know that PTFE on an olive makes a clean and effective seal?

Laws of averages would dictate I will have had a couple. But I've not used ptfe unless some doughnut has over tightened it.

Now are you going to tell us your qualifications and how many joints you have made in your plumbing career? Or are you going to continue to avoid the question AGAIN?

Learn to read would be my advice. :rolleyes:

To summarise:

1) PTFE tape on an olive makes a clean and effective seal

2) Dan doesn't like it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back