Bossing lead??

Cheers guys appreciate its a skill i wont pick up overnight but ive done a bit of welding and a lot of soldering in the past so i reckon id have a fair shot @ it once correctly equipped.
Ill see what kind of burners are available...if anyone knows of any they can recommend id be interested.
Cheers,
Marty.

Sponsored Links
Go to the tool hire shop and hire the right kit for lead burning

How to do it :evil:

Clean both sides of the maiting edges with a scrapper.

Cut the filler strips (offcuts) 5-10mm and clean both sides.

Using a small flame melt the filler strip onto the edge and forma thumbnail with the flame, being careful not to undercut the work area.

Repeat to form a daisy chain of thumbnails.

Flux is not needed and have an neutral flame

Sponsored Links
You need a O type welding gun size 2 tip is usually best i find to start with .

We used to rotate all apprentices through the lead workshop where i worked ,it took about three days of them trying /dicking around /puling splatter off there clothes till they came up with a constant usable weld.

Easiest way to practise is to at first don't try to join two pieces of lead but to get a piece of lead ,clean a line with a shave hook and weld along it ,then again ,again etc.
Then when you got that then try to join two pieces ,a lap joint is easier to weld than a butt joint,also if you are not 100% sure you can weld both sides of the lap.

Really it inst that hard but just needs lots of practise,and make sure you wear safety glasses for when (and you will lot and lots) dip your torch that bit too low.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back