Shower Waste Debacle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Some of you may have seen my post in the Electrics forum for my steam shower reinstallation. What a palaver! Anyhoo, now we're on to the plumbing. Seems to be the same level of competence involved for this job as well, with the flexi pipe being siliconed into the boss strap. Needless to say, it just fell out when I waggled it.

What I'm left with is two boss straps, one of which has been sealed up, the other looks like it has a 60mm ID. I have a couple of questions:

1. Is this a standard ID for a boss strap?
  2. Can I get a 60mm to 40mm reducer, so I can use a new 40mm flexi pipe?
  3. Is there a better/easier/cheaper solution to this problem?

Here's what we're dealing with, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

BS...

Sponsored Links

This one I'll assume?:

Reducer.JPG

Sponsored Links
Looking at the boss itself, I'd be concerned at what's been used to seal it to the soil pipe. It looks like mastic has been used - it should be solvent welded

I don't think there's much I can do about this, is there? Can you remove a boss strap, clean it up and fit another correctly?

Cheers,

BS...

I don't think there's much I can do about this, is there? Can you remove a boss strap, clean it up and fit another correctly?

If it's not been solvent welded then it will be easy to remove. If some type of mastic has been used clean the pipe up and solvent weld a strap boss

If it's not been solvent welded then it will be easy to remove. If some type of mastic has been used clean the pipe up and solvent weld a strap boss

Even better use solvent gap filling cement. Its much stronger. I've never had much success with normal solvent on strap ons

Even better use solvent gap filling cement. Its much stronger. I've never had much success with normal solvent on strap ons

Historically, that last sentence would've had me guffawing all over the shop, but as I'm now over 40 I must remain straight faced. ;)

Will this stuff do the trick? I'll assume I'm safe to use the same stuff on any solvent weld applications, such as the 40mm pipe to new boss strap?

Thanks again for your continued advice.

BS...

One more question about the strap on (quiet at the back!) Would you guys consider using the 40mm adapter that comes with this strap on, or go with the 60mm to 40mm reducer I posted earlier?

Thanks again, again,

BS...

I wouldn't recommend using the rubber insert type on a hidden connection. Use solvent-weld then there's no chance of a fitting coming loose or the rubber perishing.

The solvent you linked to in post #10 isn't gap filling - it's ok to use but gap-filling solvent gives you more safety if you're not confident of getting a good seal

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back