Steam Shower Supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We moved into a house with an Insignia INS0509 Steam Shower installed last July, and it was working fine for around a year, then it started to trip the leccy. We didn't use it for while, then tried it again and all was fine for a couple of days when it started tripping the leccy again.

On Sunday, I decided to investigate, so I pulled the unit away from the wall to see how it's connected to the power, and I found this:

20160103_152853.jpg

20160103_154856.jpg

20160103_155104.jpg

That plastic bag containing the plug/RCD and socket was hanging under the floorboards by some cable ties, with half an inch of water in the bottom of the bag!

Once I'd recovered from the shock (no pun intended), I decided to have a think about how it should be done correctly. The cable from the the socket runs under the floor to a fused spur on the outside of the bathroom. Now, unfortunately the cable with the RCD/3 pin plug on isn't very long, but it does go into a control box and looks like this if removed:

Lead.JPG

So it could be extended by running a longer flex from the control box, I assume.

Here's where the shower unit lives:

20160103_175316.jpg

They've even made a right hash of the flooring what the shower stands on. No idea why it wasn't just tiled all the way, leaving a gap for the waste piping and water feeds.

All things considered, it's a shocking installation, and I need to put it right for my 7 months pregnant Wife to be using.

Any hints or tips would be greatly appreciated.

All the best for 2016 to all!

Sponsored Links
Well the first thing is to cure what ever is responsible for the water ingress/leak.
Obviously this is not suitable installation as the socket and plug can hardly be called accessible.
If the plug/rcd and flex cannot be extended to an accessible location outside the 3m bathroom socket rule or outside the bathroom. The I would cut the plug and RCD off and fit a MF junction box and extend the cable to a FCU which incorporates 30mA RCD protection if this does not already exist on the circuit.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/ASJ803.html

But I would be before undertaking this work, be having a word with the installer! and I would be quoting from the supply of goods and service act.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply PrenticeBoy, The source of the water was from a cross-threaded connection feeding the shower riser, another thing they didn't do right! That's been remedied.

I think I will extend the plug/RCD under the floor to the cupboard which is on the other side of the wall on the right. The socket is connected via an FCU to a circuit which is protected by an RCD, so at least that bit was done right!

Many thanks for your advice,

BS...

Sponsored Links
The I would cut the plug and RCD off and fit a MF junction box and extend the cable to a FCU which incorporates 30mA RCD protection if this does not already exist on the circuit.

That sounds like a good and sensible idea, although one may want to use a maintenance free junction box with a IP ratting of 44 or greater along with compression glands (such as a Wiska JB with Lever type Wago's inside) as you could easily get condensation around that area. I would then take that to the FCU outside the bathroom using 1.5mm² 3 core flex. Remember that if you screw a suitable IP rated JB down, to put silicon on the back to maintain the IP rating what the screw/s break.

If the FCU outside the bathroom is not already protected by a 30ma RCD, I would replace the FCU for one of these: https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/KBRCD6000.html

Also, I am surprised no one has mention that this proposed work likely contends to notifiable work.

I appreciate the advice of using an IP rated junction box, but if I run a new 1.5mm² 3 core flex from the control unit of the shower to the cupboard outside the bathroom, I can make the new electrical connections without having to notify, yes? In essence, all I'm really doing is installing a new socket using an existing circuit, and extending the flex on the shower unit.

Thanks again for all of your advice chaps, I now know exactly what I'm going to with this.

BS...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back