Botched finish on floorboard spot repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - another grand cockup by me that I just want some advice on...

I needed to use a bit of woodfiller on my floorboards last week and when sanding it down I obviously rubbed off the sheen. So I shopped around for a suitable finish to touch it up with, and I opted for Osmo Polyx Hard Wax Oil (Clear Satin, which supposedly doesn't change the colour of the wood). https://www.osmouk.com/sitechapter.cfm?chapter=82&page=247

Attempt one worked very well and the resulting sheen was a perfect match. But then I realised I'd used the wrong colour woodfiller. So I gouged that out, refilled, and sanded once again.

Here's where the problem occurred. On the second sanding I went deeper and noticed a 'ripple' effect around the deepest spots. This, I'm now presuming, was me sanding through a laquer film that I had previously left in tact. When I dabbed these spots of wood with water they darkened noticably, but the liquid evaporated after a few hours so I thought it was no biggy.

Darkening also occurred when I re-applied the Osmo, but I hoped it'd lighten while drying as it had before (Osmo product info says it's microporous, so I figured the liquid can escape). No such luck. It's been five days now and as you can see it's still very dark in sunlight. I know these oils take longer to cure, but my gut is telling me I've messed up again.

Can anyone give some advice? I know I'm an idiot, you don't need to point that out!! :(

Attachments

• IMG_20200709_132346.jpg
    IMG_20200709_132346.jpg
    320.5 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_20200709_132403.jpg
    IMG_20200709_132403.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_20200709_132355.jpg
    IMG_20200709_132355.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sigh, makes sense. I'm still surprised though because I've sanded a test board very heavily and no matter how deep I go it's not showing the same darkening effect with Osmo. Maybe my initial sanding techique lifted the grain, causing deeper discoloration?

Anyway I need a fix. What about Osmo Raw? https://www.osmouk.com/sitechapter.cfm?chapter=82&page=251 If it does what it claims then it'll avoid the wet look. Will I be able to sand off this darkened stuff?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back