Botched Kitchen Cabinet Sink Install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Been slowly getting the cabinets and plumbing in place for kitchen island which is from Howdens

Decided to cut a Howdens 1000mm wide base cabinet so I could figure out where the undermount sink sits roughly so I can then get the pipes and wastes in or arround the right position......but think Ive gone too close to the front edge

Ive basically gone about halfway into that vertical support bar in the front

Im now thinking of getting a new cabinet from Howdens and starting again - was rushing as my last day off today but its gonna cost!

I assume I should have cut out behind the support bar - but then I wasnt sure how much of the back to cut out too as again I didnt want to cut all the way through the back thicker panel support

While Im here - we are planning on getting 30mm quartz which we havnt bought yet - it says in the Howdens install book that there should be support brackets for quartz and marble etc

Should I get these too??? What cabinets do they go in - all of em??? Or just the wide ones like the 1000mm cab

Thanks all for any advice - I knew I shouldnt have rushed it

Ive just read that a piece of ply should be put in the cabinet and then the template used for the cut out - damn

Now its whether I need a new cabinet or not

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Hmm sometimes we cut the rail , sometimes we reposition the rail , sometimes we jus bash it out with the hammer .
Depends on the sink , last one I did was 900x450 belfast undermounted central of a 850mm island so was not close to front rails

So long as you havent butcherd the front edge could trim the rail and refit an then fill with the ply , pocket hole jig the ply to the rail or vise versa
An make sure your ply few mm low of top edge , depends on the sink
Or scrap the rail and edge a piece of wbp 964 long x 570 w( minus back and rail ?) to match your kitchen fix it in like a top with a centre rail to stop it going banana shaped .

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back