Installing sink inside kitchen cupboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Currently designing our new kitchen, and with 3 young children, thought a sink at their level would be a good idea for handwashing/drinks.

I want to get a normal kitchen cabinet, and put the sink through a shelf in the middle. As long as there's enough space for the u-bend, pipes etc, will this be ok? Would I need a thicker shelf than what normally comes in a cabinet?

Many thanks[/b]

Sponsored Links
I think you need to go back to the drawing board, think about how tall your kids are now, and in a few years, then think about all the lumps and bumps their heads are going to get,
then think how your going to regulate the water temperature down to a safe 42degrees C

:!: Just a thought - Have you considered an inset caravan sink, set in a shelf mounted on drawer runners? IIRC they usually use flexible hosepipe for the waste outlet that you could drop into a washing machine waste trap.
A couple of longish flexis should be able to take care of the water supplies.

When the kids get bigger, remove the shelf and replace it with a more conventional drawer or shelf.

Thanks for the replies. Children are 5, 1 and last one still being cooked.
I'm only planning on a cold water feed. As soon as they can reach the normal sink, or are old enough to stand on a stool safely I'll replace the sink with a shelf probably.

So the normal sink plumbings are not flexible enough? The cupboard will be right next to the washing machine.

Sponsored Links
Ah see what you mean, on drawer runners so it can be pulled out. That's a good idea. So the flexible pipes will just feed back in when you push it back in. Hmm, like that idea.

Ideally, (and only my opinion), you'll need some timber that is somewhat thicker than the normal 18mm chipboard that cupboard shelves are usually made of. This will support the sink better, and a couple of timber bearers to support the new shelf would be a sound idea too. Inset sinks have clips that secure the sink if the new shelf is around 28mm thick - the usual thickness for thin series work tops.
Flexible water supply pipes are available 1 metre long, which is more than enough for your needs. There will be some drop in water pressure but this shouldn't be an issue.
So long as you can pierce the outside wall for the usual 40mm waste and achieve a fall to the drain, there's nothing wrong with your proposition.
John :)

Thank you John!
I was thinking I may have to use a spare bit of the new worktop. That shouldn't be a problem. And hopefully make a matching front for under the sink as well.

Well, I've never heard of such a project, but it could work fine.
The timber bearer idea will allow you to position the sink at the best height (whatever that may be) and the water supply will be catered for with the flexy pipes.
The drain however will be fixed unless you choose to use Tickly's caravan drain idea - but this flexible drain pipe can only cope with very low water supply volume as per caravan designs....not house water mains!
You can buy telescopic sink waste outlets, which will allow you to raise your sink a couple of inches as the children grow taller, and flexible wastes will give you a fraction more.
John :)

Hi,
Currently designing our new kitchen, and with 3 young children, thought a sink at their level would be a good idea for handwashing/drinks.
It is NOT a good idea.
Kitchens are full of dangerous stuff, and are the last place you want small children to be doing anything.

Handwashing - buy a plastic step and put it in front of the bathroom / cloakroom sink. If that's not high enough or you deem it unsafe, your child isn't old enough to to be washing their hands unattended.

Drinks - how exactly are your small children supposed to reach cupboards and shelves to obtain something to drink out of? What happens when they decide to drink out of inappropriate containers or open brightly coloured bottles to see what's inside?

This is the only appliance i'd let a small child loose on in a kitchen.

A_bjST233.gif

Thank you for your replies and concerns. The kitchen will be a very safe place, safety catches on every door, and pyrolysis ovens so never get hot on the front. Not that I would be allowing the children in there on their own though.

The 2 can stand on steps now fine, it's the taps they can't reach. I would be supervising the sink of course. I was going to hang named mugs on hooks on the door of the cupboard, and some velcro'd flannels for hand drying.

I really got the idea from my first sons old nursery. They just had a lower sink, and also a little fridge next to it. At 2 1/2 they were allowed to get their own drinks, and snacks from the fridge, and then wash up their plates and glasses afterwards. Montessori method, teaches from a young age if you make a mess, you clear it up! Independence and self discipline too.

Anyway, if it's possible in regards of plumbing, I'm happy. If the children start flooding the kitchen, having water fights, trying to bath the cat.... I'll rethink.

in my opinion wrong on quite a few levels
nice idea but

you are teaching your kids to look in a cupboard to wash there hand this doesnt exist in real life so will only confuse them and possibly lead to danger in other locations without locking cupboard doors as there natural reaction will be to open a cupboard door to wash your hands and------- oo look at the the drink/sweeties/ fun sand :eek: :eek:

also you should not get the base unit wet as they will suffer from damage in a matter off weeks

are they going to turn the taps on or are you going to stoop to turn them on ??

why not go for a purpose built play sink that can be in a convenient place around the room with a washing up bowl and a hand towel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back