Bulky pipe under sink

24 Jul 2021
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

We will be installing a new kitchen and would like to simplify somehow the piping under the sink (see attached pic for what we currently have).

The brass pipe in the pic controls the water in the house and also an outdoor tap, but it's very bulky and takes up most of the space below the sink (I've never had one like this in my previous houses). Is there any way of making it less intrusive, move it to another place (to the back of the cabinet? in a kitchen corner? in the cupboard under stairs?), or replace it for something that takes up less space?

Any suggestions or ideas would be much welcomed.

Many thanks.


  • Capture.PNG
    1.7 MB · Views: 175
Sponsored Links
Thanks, Madrab. Where can be moved, exactly? Is this the outdoor tap you're referring to? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Yep, you need to be able to shut down the mains supply to that internal mains stop tap, that'll allow all that pipework under the sink to be cut and moved to a more suitable location.
Thanks. Can you please post a pic of what the street mains supply looks like to see if I have access to it?

Any suggestions for "more suitable location"?

Our internal main stopcock was at the back of a corner cabinet, a mission to get to.
Move it somewhere easily accessible.
Look in your front garden or pavement for a cover with "water" written on it.
Unless you're in a remote area, most of them have been replaced with square 4 inch plastic covers or round 8inch plastic covers.
Inside there's the stopcock (if you're lucky, in mine they filled it with mud)
Brilliant. Sorry, so I guess tha main stopcock you're referring to is the brass one from my first post, right? Is that a normal shape for it or can it be replaced for something simpler that doesn't need so many holes in the kitchen cabinet?

It can be replaced by a lever style one which shuts with a 90 degree action.
The lever can be dismounted so you'll only need a small round hole in the cabinet, then refit the lever.
Make sure you get a good quality one, so it's less likely it will leak or get stuck.
Again, move it somewhere easily accessible.
The main stopcock Madrab referred to is outside your property.
Under a cover with "water" written on it usually.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links