Bottom Of Doors - Height From Floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Ive just bought a new property and Im currently having the carpets laid. However the doors that are fitted don\\\'t leave enough room at the bottom for the carpet to go under.

Im trying to find out what the building regulations for the height from the floor to the actual door is as theres a little dispute between myself and the builders about this.

Thanks for any replies, info is badly needed.

Sponsored Links
There is no minimum gap between the floor and underside of the door in the building regs unless it’s a bathroom door that has no windows which would need a 10mm gap between the door and the carpet. Its just good practice for a builder to make sure the door doesn’t drag on the carpet prior to handover. Who installed the carpet? Unless you installed it and chose something particularly thick he’s got no excuse and should put it right.

The carpets havent been installed yet we discovered the problem when the carpet guy came round to measure up, as well as one of the doors having warped "because it was left open" !!

I'll chase the builders up then, thanks for the speedy response great wesibite !

NHBC require that the gap between the underside of an internal door and an unfinished floor(concrete, screed, timber etc.) should be min. 5mm and max. 25mm.

On new builds our frame openings were 2m high. That meant 3mm gap at the top with a 1981mm door left 16mm gap at the bottom and this always seemed ok for any finish on the floors.

Sponsored Links
I normally leave 12-18mm , more so 12mm and then when the carpets go down the door can be shot in . I dont think it,s down to the builder myself , how is he to know if you are having thick or thin carpet , lino or solid wood floors .

i thought this topic had been posted by my husband cos we're having exactly the same problem with our uPVC front and back doors. The builder is denying there is a problem even though the house is only 8 weeks old.

There isn't enough room for lino because the doors are so low to the floor.

Does anyone know if it's possible to fit rising butt hinges to uPVC doors and would they work to solve this problem?????

Help / Advice much appreciated.

The door was so bad that we couldn't actually get anything under it, not even a piece of paper let alone anything else. Surely any builder would have the common sense to realise that a floor covering of any sort would have to go under the door! :confused:

The door was so bad that we couldn't actually get anything under it, not even a piece of paper let alone anything else. Surely any builder would have the common sense to realise that a floor covering of any sort would have to go under the door! :confused:
It's been 8 months, havn't you sorted it out yet :eek:

We can't as such until the builder agrees to fix it. Because the house is so new, whatever we do to it will affect the warranty supplied with the windows & Doors. We have been in touch with the builder but he's ignoring it as well as requests to sort other things. We've had to get in touch with the company who provide the warranty cover who are in the process of hassling the builder about it!

Needless to say, it's driving us around the bend! :evil: :cry:

when i used to work on site the foreman/agent always used to tell us the gap they wanted under the doors,and ive always left approx 12mm gap when ever i do doors in a new build,6mm underlay 6mm carpet,wouldve thought this was a normall thing for a chippy to do,cant believe you havnt managed to get the builders back to sort out a crap job theyve done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back