Boulter Camray 5 Oil Boiler Thermostat Installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We got a Camray 5 Oil Boiler with a timer and I like to replace it with a remote room thermostat. I know the boiler needs to be on water and heating at the same time, so I just link my heating wire and hot water wire together, they are no 3 and 4 then I have left on the time on number 2 live and on number 1 neutral, as I only got an in at one end I assume for my heating on and hot water on of my receiver of the wireless thermostat and what do I put on the other one live or neutral (Which do not believe, but how can the timer work in the absence of a return feed wire)? first 2 pictures are of the old-timer

20200110_125305[1].jpg 20200110_125321[1].jpg Thermostat wiring.png

Sponsored Links
If you link the hot water and the heating wiring, both will be controlled by the room thermostat. So in the summer when it's hot and you don't have the radiators on, no hot water either.

The best plan is to leave the programmer as it is and just add a thermostat to it to control the central heating.

If you link the hot water and the heating wiring, both will be controlled by the room thermostat. So in the summer when it's hot and you don't have the radiators on, no hot water either.

The best plan is to leave the programmer as it is and just add a thermostat to it to control the central heating.
still need to sort the wiring so and i could put a manual switch in

A face on view of the backplate would help.
Do you have a combi or heat only boiler.
Do you have fully pumped or Gravity circs ??
Use prog stat for heating and leave existing timer on constant,

Sponsored Links
still need to sort the wiring so and i could put a manual switch in

You could, but it would be easier to wire a room thermostat to the programmer as it is now and have a more flexible system, than reconfigure the programmer and add a manual switch and a thermostat.

A face on view of the backplate would help.
Do you have a combi or heat only boiler.
Do you have fully pumped or Gravity circs ??
Use prog stat for heating and leave existing timer on constant,
Oil boiler with pumped heating, the boiler needs to be on for hot water as well to provide the heating side

With your original suggestion of replacing the programmer with a thermostat and linking the hot water and heating hot water wires, that would mean that you would only be able to heat hot water when the room thermostat was calling for heat (on). Once the house had warmed up and the thermostat switched the heating off it wouldn't be able to heat hot water. And in the summer, if the radiators weren't on, no hot water at all.

Therefore you should to keep the programmer, which will work exactly as it does now, and just add a room thermostat to it.

The switch No.2 just visible at the bottom of your photo highlighted here....

20200110_125305[1].jpg

....appears to be set to 'gravity' mode, which means that the hot water will automatically come 'on' whenever the heating is selected to be 'on'

However, a room thermostat could be connected to it, that will just control the central heating. This is done by disconnecting the red wire from terminal 4 of the programmer (CH ON) and connecting it to a room thermostat, then the other thermostat wire goes back to the now vacant terminal 4.

1.JPG

Many thermostats are battery powered, so only need the two wires shown to connect them, others require a mains supply, and if so, that can connect to the programmer's N & L terminals.

Because of the limitations of your plumbing [Gravity circulation of hot water and only pumped central heating] it means that the hot water has to be 'on' before you can have heating. It is better therefore for all of the time control to be done by the Danfoss programmer where the 'gravity' mode will ensure that when the heating is set to come 'on', then the hot water automatically come 'on' too.

This means that ideally you should install a standard thermostat (only temperature control) and not a programmable thermostat (time and temperature control). Whilst you could install a programmable thermostat, it can be a pain as you will always have to manually make sure that when you want to have the heating on, the hot water is set to be 'on' at the same time.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back