Bouncy floor in restaurant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys, I was hoping I could get some advice about my restaurant flooring...

About 4 months ago our builder laid down engineered flooring onto a base which had floorboards which were not level and self levelling compound on top used to correct those level issues although after laying the flooring the floor is bouncy in certain areas so when you walk on the restaurant floor some of our customers sitting at their tables have their tables wobble and it so annoying and embarrassing. The builder promised us that the issue would have settled in a few months but clearly it didn't.

What we know now is that the builder should have screeded the floor before laying the flooring to avoid this issue. We can't afford to close down for a week or 2 to get this screeded, dried and then relayed so is there any suggestions of a quick and easy way to stop these certain areas being bouncy...?

There is a gap between the engineered floor and the underlay as it was laid as a floating floor so I thought maybe we could either drill a hole into a floorboard and use expanding foam or drill a hole and use a sand blaster something to fill the gaps with sand. Maybe even drill some screws but I don't think the screws would hold and id probably have to drill shed loads into the floorboards. With these options the areas when walked on although not level might not cause the bouncy effect. Your comments and suggestions greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
On a commercial build he should have plywood sheathed the floor with something like 18mm or possibly 12mm hardwood ply to take out the worst of the original flooring discepencies

even a well laid floating floor could move, I wouldn't have thought it suitable for a restaurant scenario for the reasons you mention.

Yep big mistake I know but what option could potentially work to at least minimise the bouncing effect..?

Sponsored Links
Why did you let a builder put down the floor. Did he say he's done loads before ?

Anyway is it T&G ? So glued on the joints. Or is it a click ?

If click engineered there is a way to take planks out and then screed under the floor and replace them.

As Dazlight says, if it's a click system, it could be remedialed fairly quickly, glue system a little longer but it's possible if some one knows what they are doing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back