bouncy floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The floor to the kitchen and bathroom in my flat (which was once a part of a loft space in an old Victorian house, converted circa 1988) is 'bouncy'.

It is hardboard (not floor boards). It seems in places that the joints to the boards are not supported by anything underneath.

If I layed boards over the top of this would it solve the 'bouncy' problem ?

I dont want to have to take out all the kitchen units/bathroom in order to refit a floor - if at all possible.

Sponsored Links
If the joists are not man enough to support the floor, it will bounce no matter what you put on top. If the joists are weak just adding extra flooring will only increase the load and lead to further problems. I would get a structural engineer in to evaluate the construction and go from there.

I can't believe your floor is hardboard, it may just be a covering over the old floorboards. Hardboard wouldn't support any substantial weight and appliance feet would push through it, as would you if it got wet.

i am wondering wether its hardboard that is on top off another flooring material that is dammaged sagging unsupported on the joints ect

if its nailed down lift up an edge and have a look

Jacks, no wonder the floors springy with hardboard, I wouldn't let my cat walk over it. I think you may mean the flooring is made up of Gyproc flooring, is it rough to touch on the edges, tongue and groove fitting with letters and numbers printed on the top?
Your problem is probably that the flooring has been laid directly onto the victorian joists, these where not designed to be load bearing and should have been replaced or strengthened before flooring, although they may look substantial, there initial purpose was only to support the ceiling.

Regards
Dennis

Sponsored Links
Jacks the flooring in your flat will not be hardboard, you would of know by now (you would of fell though the floor by now )since you haven't it's not hardboard, your floor will be either floor boards or t&g chipboards i hazzard a guess and i think it will be floorboards, even if it was chipboards that does not make any difference reguarding the bouncyness of your floor. your floor is bouncy because, A, the floor joist are'nt big enough, for the span, or B the gap between each joist is wider than they should be ( which should be either 400 centres or 600 centres ) if the gap is wider, you will get a bouncy effect, because there is no support underneath the flooring. ps i must correct my self floorboards are less flexable than t&g chip boards, but i still think your's are floorboards. ps let me know what your's are when you can. thanks

The boards must be tongue and groove chipboard. (Sorry I didnt know there was a difference between hardboard and chipboard). I don't know about letters etc on them as they are covered in plastic tiles.

There is nothing underneath in the way of floor boards. Also the T&G does not actually join together properly in places as the room is not quite square.

I haven't measured the gaps underneath, as I haven't had them up for a couple of years.

What do you think?

You have a poorly laid chipboard floor! The t&g should always meet, that's the whole point of having it. Even if the walls aren't square the contractor should have been able to deal with this and lay the floor square. Get somebody in who knows what they are doing and what they are looking at as I don't think you have the expertise to deal with the problem.

This forum will not give you an instant fix, if this is what you are expecting as we cannot see your floor and your descriptions are a little vague.

Thankyou all for your time, help and advice. Much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back