Boundary lines

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all, we have recently had a new neighbour purchase a house who’s garden finishes half way up my garden. The end of his garden is only 1 panel width as it tapers down. He has removed 3 grab lorry loads of soil to level the garden and in doing so has exposed all the concrete root balls for all the concrete fence posts on 3 sides of his garden, he assured us that our 2x posts. Gravel board and panel would be replaced, he has now built an out building on the boundary line. I always thought you could build up to your fence line but never thought you could remove it and make the boundary your building, the neighbours either side have lost 2x panels worth to a wall and the far neighbour has lost 5x6 panels to a wall.

Is this allowed or should it be taken down?
The building work is by no means complete, only the walls are up at the moment
Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
The outbuilding might not be pd if it exceeds 2.5 metres, strictly if it is above 2 metres it breaches pd rights for means of enclosure. I suppose it could be treated as part of a boundary though. Your local planning authority should be able to clarify.

As to the boundary, it depends who owns it/whose responsibility it is; if it is your fence they have removed from your land then the answer is obvious. If it is theirs, they can remove it. It might turn on a detailed inspection of the title deeds, and that may be far from conclusive.

This is useful advice on the planning position:

Outbuildings - Guide to permitted development (planningportal.co.uk)

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back