Country
United Kingdom
484B78FE-6283-4FDA-B95E-223CE64BF826.jpeg
887428C5-582B-4A82-834E-5FED004C3B74.png
5D75D60A-EEC1-4122-A6B4-346CCCA772D8.jpeg
484B78FE-6283-4FDA-B95E-223CE64BF826.jpeg
887428C5-582B-4A82-834E-5FED004C3B74.png
5D75D60A-EEC1-4122-A6B4-346CCCA772D8.jpeg
Hi everyone I’m about to replace a fence panel and whilst looking over the panel into the neighbours garden I noticed the neighbour has attached a reel and hook for a washing line to the adjacent fence panel.He has just screwed it on to the wooden boarder Of the fence which is not very strong, I’m concerned that the weight of the washing Line and washing will eventually break the fence panel and I will have to replace it. THe fence panel and concrete pillar are on my side of the boundary. I’m considering telling the neighbour to remove the washing line just wanted people’s opinions and advice thank you

Sponsored Links
I think it’s being petty. I wouldn’t spoil the relationship with the neighbour over something so small. Never know when you need a neighbour on side.

hopefully you’re not planning any extensions any time soon.

Last edited:
Although that said, the weight of a full washing line can be quite considerable.

Perhaps point out to them that if that panel is damaged because of this, they will be responsible for paying for its renewal.

If it's your fence then they are not allowed to fix anything to it, lean anything on it or even paint it without your permission.
If your determined to have it removed and they do not, lean over the panel (on some steps) and remove it, then give it back to them.
Or just turn the panel around :)

Our neighbour hangs some planters on their side with hooks that come over our side. Not even worth mentioning it in my mind. A washing line wouldn’t bother me unless it was doing some damage. The fact that you’ve only just noticed it after looking over their garden sort of says to me it’s not that big a problem. If it really bothers you, perhaps you could ask if they could fix it to the post?

Sponsored Links
a great compromise
2x1" treated tile baton [flat]either on top off the fence panel but in the slot or remove the panel cap and place on top get them to only fix to the baton then if it gets pulled to much the baton will pull out rather than damage the panel

Those panels aren't very strong at all. I'd be having a polite friendly word and helping them find a solution.

Sure it's your fence? looks like it's the LH fence as looking out from the house which is usually the neighbours fence.

left hand/right hand/fair face/construction face are not indicators of ownership.

It might be recorded on the plan on the "deeds" which you can obtain from
https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/land-registry

(only use the "gov.uk" site, all the others are crooks)

You can obtain your own, and your neighbour's (and any others you feel like), copies are not restricted to the landowner.

Otherwise you can look at the site and try to work it out from clues on the ground, especially if there are old fence posts rooted in antiquity, and you can look at the corners of the plot, as the back boundary may have been built to the original corner.

Or there might be someone who knows from previous ownership.

Once, when solicitors had lost the deeds to an old family property, I had to Swear before a commissioner for oaths that I knew the boundaries were correct.

The panel will fail in no time, a wet washing load could easily weigh 7kg or something, add some gusts of wind ..... even a new panel has little strength for this, that one already looks a bit long in the tooth.

I think that 'rule of thumb' is just a generalisation and not actually law abiding, Ed.

Sure it's your fence? looks like it's the LH fence as looking out from the house which is usually the neighbours fence.
What about if you’re semi-detached? We are and we both look after our outer fences to our side drives/garage but when the joining fence and posts needed replacing a few years ago, we went halves.

I would point out that it's not very strong, and suggest that he uses the concrete posts, putting a loop around the post. Their washing may fall into the dirt when wet if the fence fails, plus it might damage the fence

I wouldn't get petty over it

Offer to drill a hole in the concrete post so he can fix it to that

My guess is - when it fails it will just pull the screws out and may be they will realise it needs a better fixing.

I would pay good money not to have disputes and bad feelings with neighbours and would not risk conflict over something as little as that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back