Fencing Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

I am replacing existing wooden fence panels that sit in slotted concrete posts and on a single gravel board.

The problem I have is with one of the panels is that a tree has grown at a slight angle and has split the existing panel see pic in FenceProb album for plan view.

There is another concrete fence post/panel that runs away from my fence and I am looking at using this to attach two smaller fence panels to "bend" the fence around the tree. (as per red lines in the diag)

What is the best way of attaching the new panels to concrete posts?

Thanks in advance

Daz

Sponsored Links
Has the tree leaned towards the fence, or does the stump actually sit on the boundary?

Cut the tree back, or lose the tree entirely if it's on the boundary. It will only continue to grow and damage the new panel.

The tree is leaning. At the base there is a gap of about 6 inches to the gravel board and it is the top 2 foot of the wooden panel where it intersects the fence.

Removing the tree is not an option I would want to consider as it adds to privacy.

Cheers

Daz

screw a batten to the tree, split a panel to fit either side of the tree and attach it to the batten on the tree. you cant remove the tree and bending a panel around it will only weaken the panel. a few screws in the tree wont harm it.

Sponsored Links
I put in an extra (wooden) post on the fence line, close to the tree. I cut a fence panel in half to fit, reducing the height of one half to fit under the tree trunk.

* Nail new battens to what will be the new edge of the panel before you cut it, otherwise it's likely to fall apart. *

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back