boundry line

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, just a quick question as someone has started to worry me about our new garage we have built. OK, we're recently constructed a wooden car port/garage along the same line as the old boundry fence. Now the old boundry fence looked as though it was about 1 foot onto the neighbours side of the fence.

So we looked at our house plans we got when we bought the house and it showed that the boundry line was over to one side by 2 feet. But we put the new fence where the old one was to be on the safe side. We did talk to our neighbours before building it and they said the were absolutely fine with it as long as it was to built to the original fence line, which we've done.

However someone mentioned to me that the plans you get with the the house aren't 'official' boundry lines, instead they just copy what is there already onto the plans, so if they survyor or whoever turns up, sees the fence is a foot over to one side they'll copy that onto the plans rather than marking what is the proper boundry and putting that onto the plans. The plans are from the council but i'm worried that should next door sell the house it may cause difficulty if it's in the wrong place, I know it's my fault for not checking thoroughly, but in my naivety I assumed the plans we got with the house marked out the boundry lines officially.

Could anyone shed some light on it, or should I go to the council or get a surveyor out to check on it?
Thanks very much
Dan

Sponsored Links
Don't volunteer anything. When a house is sold there won't be a surveyor sent round to check boundaries. The boundary sounds like it has been in place for many years so this IS the boundary regardless of what it was many years ago. The only plans that matter are the ones you used when you bought the place. Forget all about it.

I agree with Joe. Any surveyor sent by the buyer will be there to report on the condition of the property, not the position of the boundaries. These are marked on the deeds. a copy of which is always held by the Land Registry. If you're that worried, you can always order a set online and see if there's any difference - but I bet there won't be. To be absolutely sure, you could buy a copy of your neighbour's deeds and see if they look the same. Only costs a few pounds and would probably be a waste of money but if it'll set your mind at rest . . .

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back