Bowed Shed Roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 12x8 garden shed which is 10yrs old but in good condition.
This weekend I have been replacing the roof felt after the recent high winds and have noticed it has a distinct bow in the roof line. It is sagging quite noticeably along its 12ft length.
Probably not helped by me bouncing around on it with the felt!!!
The bow however was noticeable before I started the work.
Should I be concerned? How can I correct it?
Thanks all.

Sponsored Links
Its a quality shed bought 10yrs ago. All still good condition, just concerned a little of the sagging roof line.

The bow however was noticeable before I started the work.
Should I be concerned? How can I correct it?

It sounds identical to my own it, including the vow in the roof, but I know why my roof bows. It has two roof panels, which original had a gap at the ridge. I have twice recovered it with felt in the 30+ years since I bought it. My weight on the roof, when recovering, caused the ridge gap to close up with the result that that the once fixed felt, held the two sides with the gap slightly closed and a dip in the ridge.

Next time - my plan is to put a bit of timber in between the two roof panels, to help maintain the correct spacing.

Sponsored Links
If its anything like my shed roof panels, the 'ridge beam' is only the 2 bits of 22 x 38 at the edge of the panel. When i was putting it up i thought it looked a bit flimsy so sistered a lump of 3 x 2 in. You may be able to do the same (jack up the middle) but may hit issues with the sides lifting rather than the boards straightening so might have to be done in stages (couple of weeks between each lift, some bricks or blocks on the ends of the ridge to encourage them to straighten).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back