Box Frame, Is this really the case?

£800 sounds ok tbh. 22K is a lot though even if that includes a new kitchen unless its a crazy ££££s kitchen!. A bit off topic but how many quotes did you get?

Sponsored Links
This is my first quote and it only for the extension and converting cloakroom to a downstairs bathroom. (There is no kitchen included its just the shell)

Getting another tomorrow.

The architect is a structural engineer as well.
Lol.. so hes spent what 12yrs at Uni.. i really doubt that.. might wanna take that with a pinch of salt..

Chances are hes an Architectural Tech whos done a few similar.. and gotten some calcs for a framed solution from another job.. so hes using these calcs someone else has paid for and keeping the profits :evil:
Or hes the other way round and is guessing about the Architectural stuff..

Either way a goal post solution is normally used when the existing walls are over loaded and you want independant foundations for the new loading.. may be the case..

Does your new goal post need new foundations?

He is a structural engineer first off and does architectural work.
I will need new foundations for the goal posts.

Sponsored Links
Static. Agree with your last post 100%, but with respect are you assuming it is now a goal post or box. Would appear that arch is still saying box, and that’s the way he still wants to go.
Only done one box in all my life, due to the fact that the ground was so bad and the load so great that S.E could not design pad of practical size that we could get pad in for goal posts. consequently finished up with box.
It would appear that the problem stems from the fact that BRegs are on notice and not on full plans. It would appear that plans have been drawn up but not submitted on a full plan application. If they had been the arch could have shown couple UBs with calcs and they would have either been accepted or thrown out. He could have progressed on from their.
The OP states that the Arch is prepared to change the box for goal posts on a full plan application. So he either knows something that we do not know, or he has not got a lot of faith in his own calcs due to the fact he is working on building notice.
Of the top of me head , would say your bottom steels will stand you in approx £1100.00. For me, would go back to B.C
old un.

No plans have not gone in yet for building notice or full plans. The arc was ok with building notice for box frame. But only full plans without box frame.

Think I will change arc for one who will do goal post. As builder came to site and checked and said goal post is more than sufficient.

Hi

The problem you have is that the foundations to the original house will not have been designed for the point loads that you would be creating.

The options would be to either dig out the old foundations and put in around 1m2 concrete pad foundations to underpin the existing walls (which I doubt your neighbours would consent too), or go down the route that your architect is specifying, or you could consider reducing the opening width and retain a return to each end of the building - get SE calcs.

So all in all your Architect appears to know what he's talking about!!

Oh! One last thing - if you went for goal posts, you would still need to provide pad foundations to support the load or you could get that sinking feeling that something isn't quite right further down the road!!

Regards

dare I ask what I have missed?
The OP's engineer has intimated that he is happy to draw up either as a solution but has already drawn up a box frame solution hence his reluctance to draw up a more economical (for the OP) goal post solution.

He (the SE) has also intimated that he is uncomfortable having work commence on site using a revised goalpost design that has not yet been approved by the LA suggesting to the cynical posters amongst us that he is using an already LA approved design ie from a previous job and is merely trying to save himself some work.

Hi fmt

Thanks for the heads up!

Humm! Amongst all this has any one considered a party wall agreement?
Just in case something i.e. party wall decides to move while all the work is going on, or at some later date if the neighbours house's become affected by the change in conditions!

Regards

dare I ask what I have missed?
The OP's engineer has intimated that he is happy to draw up either as a solution but has already drawn up a box frame solution hence his reluctance to draw up a more economical (for the OP) goal post solution.

He (the SE) has also intimated that he is uncomfortable having work commence on site using a revised goalpost design that has not yet been approved by the LA suggesting to the cynical posters amongst us that he is using an already LA approved design ie from a previous job and is merely trying to save himself some work.
Would agree with this completely..

Hi All

After all your advice I am still at a lost of what to do.
Shall I go ahead and get the box frame?

Ask your engineer to design a goal post. Wait until it is approved by the LA. Get at least three quotes using approved drawings as basis of tender quotes. Appoint builder and use 'as approved drawings' to form basis of contract. Simples!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back