single brick party wall - supporting beam with load

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In a 1910 end terrace I have recently found out that a party wall is only 1 brick thick between next door, the end terrace wall is the same with a new outside wall being built in the 60/70s. The problem is the 2 walls are supporting a wooden beam 4m long that is supporting a single brick wall above it. The problem is the bricks under were the beam hangs have cracked around 2 courses down along the mortar line. There was a 70s style glass doors and window/wall partition to separate the 2 rooms about 1 meter back from the beam when this was torn down I found scrunched up papers from 1973 making me think the beam was put in and a wall torn down around the same time.

My questions are

1: Am i right in thinking that a 4m wooden beam should be supported better than by a single brick wall on both ends ? if so how would I add extra support to the beam ? both single walls looks to be built on a soldier course of bricks with concrete then screed on the floor (I was told this was a normal way of spreading the weight of a 1910s wall).

2: if this beam has hung from these 2 walls wall since the 70s (at least by decoration of house) with no sag on the beam does it need replaced with an rsj ?

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back