Box gutter help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello :)

We are currently in the process of getting a side and back extension sorted for our house.

As the side will be narrow we want to squeeze every bit of space we can, and setting back the building line to accomodate a gutter is not ideal.

So, I was looking into box guttering along the side in question.

The roof design of the extension is a hip where the back part of the extension roof joins the side part of the extension roof.

Is it possible to have a box gutter on the side and a conventional gutter on the back (possibly what the box drains into?

I have been trying to find a picture of something similar on Google or similar but have had no luck.

Any advice or pictures would be warmly received!

Sponsored Links
How did you get on with this problem? I have the same problem myself and finding it hard to research into this problem

Its a God awful situation to end up with, you can get a lead worker in to connect the two as you won't be able to do them at the same level. No matter what you do it will look a bit crap and Heath Robinson.

Its fairly easy to design/have a gutter arrangement where the eaves are set back, and you have a normal plastic gutter directly above the outer brick skin of the cavity wall so that nothing projects from the wall

This will be higher than normal eaves at say the front or rear, so the side gutter just discharges into it

Sponsored Links
Thats the theory but when they start leaking its in your property instead of just dripping outside.

Thats the theory but when they start leaking its in your property instead of just dripping outside.

Agree with you catlad, that is why Building Reg H3 1.7 does not allow this type of construction, however it is possible to form a boxed lead gutter with 300 high parapet wall in this situation, providing planning have no objection.
OP google Calder Lead.
oldun

Not with a suitable cover detail behind the gutter and over the wall below it. And in an exposed area, a cavity tray for good measure

Agree with you catlad, that is why Building Reg H3 1.7 does not allow this type of construction
oldun

The 6 LA's around me all do

And it is wrong to say that the approved document does not "allow" it, as the AD's are guides and not prescriptive, absolute rules

I guess the side elevation detail would look similar to a half hip as far as the small rake of side elevation verge is concerned?

Surely you could then afford to set the extension back in so that you could have a flush fascia (i.e. no soffit) and conventional gutter brackets? This image shows a half hip, but in your case the gutter would be a lot lower with only a few courses of tile verge showing on the adjacent roof elevation.
5730501822_b641f80f3b.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back