Boxed In Cistern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone any ideas about how to connect up the flush (inside a toilet cistern) to the outlet into the toilet when the whole area is boxed in around the cistern and you can only just reach around to hand tighten the connector. It is of course leaking as I can't tighten it enough.

Sponsored Links
Don't understand which bit you mean. "CLose coupled" or "Low level"?

Sounds like must be low level to me. Tricky one.

Do up flush pipe to cistern union nut good and tight, put boxing together, push pan into place onto pan connector and bottom of flush pipe, test for leaks, complete boxing?

Moral of the story honour your toilet and show it off. Makes it a lot easier to maintain.

If it's the type of cistern specifically designed to be boxed-in, you may have a bit of a problem! (I ask the question because only last week I spent a lot of time breaking tiles, rearranging boxing and retiling because some idiot had boxed-in a close-coupled suite with the tiles butting up against the sides of the cistern, which unfortunately I had to remove and replace!)

If it's a 'well-fitted' system, you may find a joint-line in the tiles corresponding to a joint in the boxing and some of the grouting done with silicone instead of grout. The idea is to cut the silicone and then part of the boxing SHOULD be 'easily' removable.

If you're unlucky, it won't be like that and you'll have to be destructive.

Sponsored Links
If a joiner or tiler had anything to do with it then rest assured it was fitted to be impenetrable by a chieftan tank.

I had a bath with shower to investigate, I could see the problem was not a leak in my pipes under the bath, but customer insisted I show her, so I had to undo four banks of five 2" by 6 screws with philips #1 screw head that joiner had used to fix his plyewood bath panel, and decorator has filed and painted. I couldn't lever it off as it would have trashed it.

If we use any screws at all it's just three across the bottom, if you're lucky.

And no, my pipes hadn't leaked, it was splashing over the sides.

Thanks
It's a close coupled system and yes, someone has handily tiled right up to the cistern so you have to be a contortionist to access the connection between cistern and outlet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back