Water escaping when the toilet is flushed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I replaced the siphon unit in a close coupled toilet at the week-end because it had not been flushing. The toilet is about 15 years old and the metal plate through which the cistern is connected to the toilet (by wing nuts) was badly rusted and the various seals were in poor condition. However there was no problem with leaks or water escaping previously. Now when i flush the toilet a significant quantity of water (say 15%) spills out the between the cistern and the toilet. I suspect that the seal between the siphon unit and the cistern is not tight enough, but there is no leak apart from when flushing. Is the solution to simply tighten the nut more (It is already as tight as i can tighten it by hand)? Would it help to insert a seal between the nut and the base of the cistern? I have not replaced the metal plate as i felt it was preventing me from tightening the nut fully. The cistern is very stable.

Sponsored Links
Did you use the correct doughnut washer? they are available in different thicknesses and compounds.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back