boxing bags on Steel I-beam (gym) inc pics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Can any one give me advice on if my beam (see photos below) will support the punch bags when I hit them (I normally train about 5 to 6 times a week).

I am planning to put a 6ft muay thai bag, a 4ft heavy punch bag and a speed ball onto the beam. Is this not going to be good?

A guy told me that he built a pretty strong truss for his bag that goes across from one beam to the other and after a year of weekly use the force of the bag on the beams had some effect on his walls. (but I dont know what a truss is!)

PS: My blocks as in my pics are 7N medium density Concrete blocks (not breeze blocks)

Also, I can use these springs (link below) to take out some of the force but am not sure it will help much.

http://store.titleboxing.com/hbs.html ).

Thanks for any help.

Tony

PS: Ignore the mold pics as i am sorting this out (thanks to advice from my other post)

[/img]

Sponsored Links
ps: in addition to my query above I have just researched google and found these.

or

Hi again, Im not sure if any of you guys are clued up on this type of thing but I have also put some pics and weights below of the bags i intend to hang if this helps you. I am now moving the speed ball which i mentioned above (as this is light) onto one of the joists coming off perpendicular to my beam.

Cheers

Tony

1) 2) 3)

1) Extra wide heavy punch bag = 4ft and 90lbs in weight (approx 40.8kg)
2) teardrop knee and elbow bag = 60lbs in weight (approx 27.2kg)
3) 6ft Banana kick/punch bag = 6ft and 120lbs in weight (approx 54.4kg)

Sponsored Links
You might like to visit Woody's photos, if that's of interest :LOL:

It will the hold bags but really shake the structure if they are fixed close to the beam.

It will the hold bags but really shake the structure if they are fixed close to the beam.

I was actually going to fix them directly onto the beam by drilling into it and using bolts for a ceiling hook? Do you think it is better on the joists?

No they will be worse on the joists. Have you thought about a free standing frame?

No they will be worse on the joists. Have you thought about a free standing frame?

No, I thought the steel beam would be ideal. Where would the frame go and would I have to make it or can you buy it? Also, would I have to dig it and secure it into my floor? But i dont think it wold look as nice?

Tony

The beam might be OK. The only problem I can see is that the roof timbers are hung off it. There will be quite a lot of strain on the beam as every time you hit the bag it will lift slightly and drop the weight back down. It may in time damage the roof covering. The springs will also help. Its probably the roof timber structure that will move about the most. The best thing is to try it out and see what its like. It depends how good your punch is.

The beam might be OK. The only problem I can see is that the roof timbers are hung off it. There will be quite a lot of strain on the beam as every time you hit the bag it will lift slightly and drop the weight back down. It may in time damage the roof covering. The springs will also help. Its probably the roof timber structure that will move about the most. The best thing is to try it out and see what its like. It depends how good your punch is.

ha . punch is deadly!!! ive been karate since i was 8 (i'm almot 30) and am about 16 stone (100ish kg i think), and dabbled in a few years of boxing, a few years in tae kwon do, a few years of jiu jitsu... and been doing MMA/BJJ and muay thai lately..... plus 'used' to train 6 times a week (havent been for a good few months) So... i plan to hit very hard and every day for a few hours.

Will the timber structure move about even though I have added alot of noggins (i think thats what they are called)?

Also, instead of the metal hooks above which fit around a joist I now plan to just put in a standard ceiling hook bolted to the steel beam as per the pic below.

Tony,
I don't think the timbers will move about a lot, but punchbags do send vibrations through structures. It might be worth putting one up first before you tack the ceiling to test it out. It would give you an idea of what effect it is having. The wall itself is probably fine being concrete blocks. Its probably the felt roof covering that is most at risk but its difficult to say for sure. You may test it out and find that there is no problem, but it worth checking because it going to take a fair bit of stick.

Tony,
I don't think the timbers will move about a lot, but punchbags do send vibrations through structures. It might be worth putting one up first before you tack the ceiling to test it out. It would give you an idea of what effect it is having. The wall itself is probably fine being concrete blocks. Its probably the felt roof covering that is most at risk but its difficult to say for sure. You may test it out and find that there is no problem, but it worth checking because it going to take a fair bit of stick.

Thanks I will do this... But do you know where I can get a frame or something similar?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back