Ceiling joists and u beams? Is this what you would do?

The beams are, presumably, deeper than the joists, so the top of the beam would have to be higher than the floor joists in order to get the bottom to line through (set it half inch or so above bottom of joists).

As long as there is a wall over (presume there is, hence beam size!), then the beam can be hidden within the width of the wall.

Put joists on extended leg hangers, with sw blocking piece within the web of the beam, to stop the joist ends rotating.

This arrangement is slightly more involved to install, as it would mean needling the wall above the level of the joists, rather than using the joists themselves as needles, but it's not rocket science, or that much more expensive - I can't see how Nose came up with his EO figure.

Sponsored Links
Hi, Woody,
The steel isn't wider than the wall, so will not show above after clading and plaster. :rolleyes:

Why was channel specified instead of a standard Uni-beam? Ease of installation is usually the reason, but I can't see any installation probs of a heavy uni-beam at ground level. Therefore, maybe the channel was specced to make the beam easier to install flush? and the builder has done a wrong 'un?

Why was channel specified instead of a standard Uni-beam? Ease of installation is usually the reason, but I can't see any installation probs of a heavy uni-beam at ground level. Therefore, maybe the channel was specced to make the beam easier to install flush? and the builder has done a wrong 'un?
Engineer thought about weight issues; doesn't appear to have thought of headroom requirements, though.

Sponsored Links
Hi, Woody,
The steel isn't wider than the wall, so will not show above after clading and plaster. :rolleyes:
:confused: He didn't say that, he said (as I did) that if it's deeper than the joists, that's not a problem, cos the beam will still be hidden within the width of the wall. Or am I missing sommat here?

I can't see how Nose came up with his EO figure.

stick to engineering shy, you really have not got a clue.

needling going into two upstairs rooms, dealing with all the joist ends ensuring snug fits into hangers, making good in maybe a bathroom having maybe removed a bath - get real!

you do the calc's we do the hard work. ;)

I'll sit this one out

popcorn.gif

i've been there wood's believe me.

there is a lot more involved than the easier option.

carpet fitters, new skirtings, re-decoration.

the list keeps growing. anyone who is foolish enough to think that you can switch the two options upon a whim has never really under taken both projects.

they are two separate jobs.

Yes I know. But its often worth it for the client - if they bear the cost then its the best option.

What we do is core drill the holes above the skirting to put the needles through - if we're unlucky and the bricks drop, only then does the skirting come off.

Most times the core just slots back in nicely too!

Sometimes a Strong boy or two can be chopped into the joint from the exterior so the inside is not disturbed. Then after the internal leaf beam is put in and packed, the acrows removed/moved back to allow room for the external beam to go in

needling going into two upstairs rooms, dealing with all the joist ends ensuring snug fits into hangers, making good in maybe a bathroom having maybe removed a bath - get real!

you do the calc's we do the hard work. ;)
Lol.

Now you're moving the boundaries! Fair enough (possibly) in that situation, but you made it sound like it would be that EO every time.

Finger-in-wind pricing is very financially rewarding, obviously ;)

i am obligated to point out the potential multi room disruption, the extra costs and the difficulty involved.

i could not care less as to whether the customer wants it below or at ceiling level so long as he is aware of the differences.

from the outset, it should have been made clear that a u beam at floor level is not even on the same page as a beam below the joists.

the customers wish for a through ceiling was not whimsical and should have been addressed by the designer. his wishes should have then been translated into a drawing complete with text that builders could use for both quoting and subsequent building work.

the differences between the two jobs are clear cut and should have been noted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back