8.5 metre steel beam installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I intend to replace the rear wall of my bungalow with a 8.5 metre beam (red in diagram) that needs to support the existing pitched roof and the new joists for a flat roof as shown below in attachments. This requires a portion of the internal lime / clay brick walls to be replaced with block work to support the beam (at floor level). I have a few questions that someone may be able to answer:

1)The new extension wall and replaced internal wall will not align due to cavity size differences (5 cm against 10 cm), I’ve been told by the SE that it is ok to use a wall starter kit to tie them together, is it normal to only tie half a block together (5 cm)?

2)The SE suggested putting the beam in place using such that the existing joists align with the new joists as shown(beam position.jpeg), this won’t work as max external height of flat roof is 3.1m and internal height of existing ceiling is 3m. A 26 cm deep beam mounted at joist level will be above the external roof height. Where would this ideally be placed, could the existing joist rest on top and the new flat roof joists tie into the web

3) To transport the beam I’d ideally need a crane, but I have local power cables running along the front of the property in line with a fence, would this mean a crane can’t be used?

4) Would it be better to splice the beam into 1/3rd to easy movement / installation?

5) Would it be easier just to reduce the unsupported span with a column at approx. 3.75 metres and reduce the size of everything?

Thanks
Jon

Attachments

• beam position.jpg
    beam position.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 57
  • existing and proposed extension side view.jpg
    existing and proposed extension side view.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 51
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back