Lintel/beam installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to be making a building regs submission in the near future for removing various internal walls in the bungalow I own. As one of these walls is carrying a load from the joists it will need a lintel/beam inserting to span the 2.7m gap that will be created. Inserting this beam into the wall is going to be very disruptive, as it will affect 5 rooms in the house. :cry:

The question is though, could I install the beam in the loft on top of the wall? The height of the wall could be built up between the joists at each end to provide the bearing for the beam. The joists could then be hung from the beam instead of resting on it. This would be a whole lot less disruptive inside the house. :D

Any views on whether it's possible, wise or wildly insane? :eek:

Cheers

rob_m

Sponsored Links
I had a similar situation once where I hung joists below a girder to support a floor by nailing suitable joist hangers to the girder with a Hilti gun.I used long legged joist hangers and after slotting the joist into it and butting it up to the steel the hanger was pressed into and over the shape of the steel beam and fully nailed on the web and top of the steel using suitable Hilti nails. Not sure if you are familiar with Hilti guns so extreme care is neded when using one and it may be worth getting a pro to do this bit. Alternatively you can get various self tapping hex head screws which will go through the girder without any problem for fixing the hangers. In my case this was rated as strong enough to carry a bedroom floor so in your case with no room above you may be ok but obviously you would have to suggest this method to your architect along with your plans and await the verdict.

So I may not be barking out of my backside then? I'll discuss with my man with the plan and see what he thinks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back