Lintel/Beam size and joist hangers?

I'm not against concrete lintels per se, I just don't think the 65 deep ones are up to it for more than the smallest spans. I've seen a few of those with cracks in them.

I'm sure the OP will make the right choice.

Sponsored Links
Thanks to all for the responses and apologies if i caused a debate!

Im thinking if the timber solution is adequate and i cant see why it wouldnt be given the short span, ill go that route as it will allow me to have the celing flush and floor above nicely level by using the same size timber.
If i see any issues with this, then ill go for a pre-stressed head and create an archway below to hide it.

Thanks again, now to the next problem :(

Just a quick follow-up.

Finally got around to taking a look at this and started having a proper look at what is currently there.

From the bottom up, there is an old head of a door frame, some packers then a wooden beam (110mm wide X 75mm high) a few courses of brick then the wall plate that is carrying the joists above
Exposed view

Upstairs

Builders yard down the road didnt like the idea of a trimmer and reckoned steel or a pre-stressed head would be better but visible.

Given that the current wooden beam is taking the load of joists and brick (is load reduced due to the knitting of the brick?) any reason i couldnt re-use the same beam higher up to carry just the wall plate or use it as a trimmer?

If using as a trimmer i would be turning it on its side so that it would be 75mm wide by 110mm high as this would match a doubled up joist and give a stiffer profile.

Cheers Neil

Re-using the timber beam you have will be fine, especially turned on its side. And yes, the bonding of the brickwork at the sides helps to reduce the load on the beam.

(Ask the 'builder's yard down the road' to do the calcs. to prove that timber won't work and see what they come up with then!
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: )

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back