which 203 X 203 UC steel beam do i need

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can anyone help i do plann on getting proper calcs done but cant get hold of anyone at the moment and the chippy starts today.:eek:
Basicaly i have built an extention to my bungalow which measures
8 meters by 5 meters i have a beam that will span at a right angle from the gable wall towards the existing wall total lengh 4.9 to rest nicely on the pad stones either end. the joists each side of this beam will be notched into the beam they are large joists as also having a room in the new roof thees new ceiling joist span 4.1m on each side of the uc beam.
i have specisied a 203 203 uc beam but the planns dont mention what weight beam to use
the 46 weighted beam has flange of 10mm
the 52 weighted beam has flange of 12.5mm
any helpfull ideas or comments most greatly recieved
cheers

Sponsored Links
I don't know what weight p/m you require your s.e. will advise.

However you can not simply rest the beams into the web/flange as these will be serving as restraint for the roof.

You are best having staggered holes drilled into the web then bolt a piece of timber into the flange on both sides of the beam. A single piece of 12mm threaded bar can be passed through both timbers and the web and tightened with bolts and washers.

You can then fix jiffy hangers onto these timbers. The only down side is that the occasional bolt may interfere with the joist bearing if you are unlucky. It will mean a bit of notching is all.

One other thing.

If the flange is deeper than the thickness of the timber, then you may need to fix packers to the steel first as to bring the timber flush with the flange edges.

This will make fitting the jiffys easier.

You can do this by selecting the correct thickness packer, drill an oversize hole in it, say 20mm then glue it into position in the flange directly over the pre-drilled hole.

Once you clamp the bolts up tight it will be secure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back