203 x 203 uc steel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have just had my calculations/ drawings back from my SE. Above the by fold door he has put to fit a 203x203 x 60kg uc with 300x12mm plate welded to bottom flange. This was only drawn to be fitted on the inner leaf. A universal beam will be supported from this uc but my question is what about the outer leaf?

Sponsored Links
Cavity wall? Normally the beam will sit on the inner skin with the flange on bottom taking the outer skin. Not much info tbh?

Is the plate on the bottom intended to support an outer skin of brickwork, perhaps?
That's usually the case if he's shown the beam on the inner skin.
Quite a hefty beam - what's the span?

A 203mm beam can not sit on just a 100mm wall. The welded plate is a spreader to load both skins of the cavity wall

Sponsored Links
Hi thanks guys. It's 4600 but building above it and taking another steel off this beam. All makes sense now.
Is it possible once the beam is fitted to drop the height underneath as I am looking into bi fold doors and the max height is around 2500. This is borderline where the bottom of the beam will fit- there might be another 50/100 mm. Is there a way of dropping this height, bearing in mind It will be internal/external. Outside to be peppble dashed. Cheers

I am assuming that the bottom of the beam will be sitting at plate height. So from my floor to the bottom of the beam will be over 2500mm. Is there anything that can be fitted under the beam to make up space ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back