Boxing in under winder stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all ....

I've had to break in to an adjoining room to get the stairs in for my loft conversion.
This means that up the one corner of the room I'll have to box in or mesh cover a three tread winder.

I've seen a few examples of this on google but some of them are ugly as sin.
Do you dudes have any creative ideas or pictures of attractive methods to hide the underside corner of a staircase ?

We live in a victorian house so quirky options I don't mind ...

Sponsored Links
you have an odd spiral shape so will be some wasted space
are the stair case winders covered underneath or open showing the construction

I assume the boxing-in needs to be half hour fire resistance so that will determine how you do it. Probably boring old plasterboard although you can get bendy plasterboard but I've not used in a fire resisting position.

Sponsored Links
Yeah thats the tricky bit .... I was maybe thinking we could stuff it with rockwool and batton it over ? then mesh it ... I just can't visualise how its going to look.

I'll try to find a photo, I did one a while ago where we retained an old curved soffit to a set of stair winders just so you can see what it looks like. It wasn't fire resistant.

guess it will look something like this ... would love to see a painted up version really ..

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-07-01 at 11.57.00.png
    Screen Shot 2016-07-01 at 11.57.00.png
    454.1 KB · Views: 2,171
That's more like it. Obviously that is in the protected stairwell so wont be fire protected.

I think you can have render on expanded metal lathe to get half an hour (plus mineral wool behind) but you would need to look that up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back