BPN Home Services - anyone dealt with them?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Above would appear to be a boiler warranty co, based in London . They've taken £150 from my Mum's bank account . She denies any knowledge but she's 92 and getting scammed L R and centre. We've had no policy documents and don't want to proceed with it anyhow. I phoned within the cooling off period and said if she had taken out a policy we'd cancel it. Numerous phone calls and emails yet no refund or reply and now they don't answer the phone. Wonder if any of you have done any jobs for them and if you got paid ?

Sponsored Links
Don't seem to be one of lifes bigger outfits. Bit of a home-made web page as well.

However, t&c's state if you want to cancel within 28 day cooling off period you have to write them.

Have you tried this?

And have you got PoA to raise this with your Mum's bank?

A worrying time for you - perhaps someone in the family could take complete PoA for all your mum's finances so she can't get scammed.

If you type their 'business address' into google Streetview, I believe you will be impressed with the type and size and location of their international hub.....

And, that according to Companies House, the business has been trading a whole 12 months, has a Managing Director, and has a capital value of £100, yes really that much......

There's no end of companies operating out of that address so I guess it's an accommodation address. I'll try to get her money back from Visa , I don't think BPN are going to play ball. I think my mum is on the "mugs list" as she gets pestered by people selling extended TV warranties (she's bought about 5 ) willwriters and cold callers selling devices to stop cold callers... I'd like to think BPN are a reputable company but it's not looking hopeful so far.
Without confiscating her cheque book and bank card we have taken all reasonable steps to minimise her being scammed. She's too polite and trusting to say "no" to these callers.

Sponsored Links
However, t&c's state if you want to cancel within 28 day cooling off period you have to write them.

And have you got PoA to raise this with your Mum's bank?

A worrying time for you - perhaps someone in the family could take complete PoA for all your mum's finances so she can't get scammed.

Under the new rules, ANY medium is sufficiet to cancel a contract within the statutory period. They cannot specify snail mail.

Lasting Power of attorney - more than one family member can hold this. I would strongly recommend that every one does this before their loved ones are unable to make decisions - as then it is too late, and the costs and rules are horrendous.
I recently arranged a LPA for my in laws, the attorneys being their daughters. Help the aged have a website, but DIY is easy, and, IIRC, costs about £100 each, or about half for any aged person with a low income. My IL's had one full price and one half price.
http://www.ageuk.org.uk/money-matters/legal-issues/powers-of-attorney/lasting-power-of-attorney/

There's no end of companies operating out of that address

I'd like to think BPN are a reputable company but it's not looking hopeful so far.

15000 plus companies registered at that address, I guess the post-person has a very big sack to deliver.......

We got Mum one of those phones that block nuisance callers in an attempt to reduce these calls but it's not any use. I always wait to hear the caller speak on the answering machine before I decide whether to answer the phone but she seems excited to get phone calls . We'll have to think about P of A etc. It's not easy!

The reality is that legally unless you can prove to a Court that she is nuts you will not get any power of attorney!

There was a couple who had paid over £70,000 to just one spammer and the police failed to be able to protect them because they thought the spammers were nice people and it was their money they were spending and they had no mental incapacity!

The reality is that legally unless you can prove to a Court that she is nuts you will not get any power of attorney!
Tony, you do talk some rubbish.
If someone has no mental capacity, then to get a PoA, it has to go to a court, and you have to have a solicitor involved, overseeing the PoA, with hefty annual fees.
Which is why it should be sorted earlier rather than later, when the subject can make a decision.

From the Help The Aged site:
There are two types of power of attorney: ordinary and lasting.

1. Ordinary power of attorney
If you want to give someone full access to make decisions and take action concerning your finances while you still have mental capacity, you can set up an ordinary power of attorney.

This is a legal document giving someone else authority to act on your behalf. It is only valid while you still have mental capacity to make your own decisions about your finances, so that you can keep an eye on what the person making decisions for you (your attorney) is doing.

You can limit the power you give to your attorney so that they can only deal with certain assets, for example, your bank account but not your home.

2. Lasting power of attorney
A lasting power of attorney gives someone you trust the legal authority to make decisions on your behalf, if either you’re unable to in the future or you no longer wish to make decisions for yourself.

This page was last updated: 04 June 2015

Do you know the couple scammed, or was it in a copy of The Star left on the tube?

You don't seem to have much experience of older people.

There are many like the 92 y.o. who don't think that they are incapable and will not grant a power of attorney even when its obvious to everyone else that they are being taken advantage of. If they will not agree then its very difficult to get one against their will.

I don't disagree Tony, but that is not what you said. Obviously to have an LPA consent is required from the subject, and the authority (cant recall name) also write to other family members to ask if they have an objection.
My IL's were totally in favour of the arrangement, probably because they DO have experience of old people!
Do you know the scammed couple?

This is not a suitable topic for well meaning but non professionals. A solicitor is worth a consultation. Most will give 30 mins free and afterwards their fee should be covered by what will be saved from the scammers.

This is not a suitable topic for well meaning but non professionals. A solicitor is worth a consultation. Most will give 30 mins free and afterwards their fee should be covered by what will be saved from the scammers.

Are you a solicitor, per chance?;)
Why is it wrong to encourage tolk to investigate LPA's.? The charge locally for a lawyer to submit the forms for a LPA is a little over £1000. HTA, IIRC are about £600. DIY for one full payment and one with "low income" is about £160. And all is that is happening is form filling.:
https://www.gov.uk/power-of-attorney/overview

Whichever route is chosen, it can save a mountain of grief later. (And I've just noticed a further .Gov google listing saying that the forms have been simplified. )

Unfortunately, though, it won't stop scammers, apart from it being easier for the attorney to help chase conned money.

No I am not a solicitor, nor do I do my own gas services to avoid exorbitant prices, according to some.Each to his own expertise.
However, whilst filling in the forms is easy, if undertsken when the person is fully aware, you do need to consider how you will make progress if the elderly are non cooperative and unable to appreciate what the relatives see as best interest.

I understand Tony, but a couple of points,if I may.
It took me a couple of hours to fill out the forms - and I was a first timer. While I appreciate that we all have our overheads an salary expectations, I am also aware that the Solicitor (other than a one man practice) I would pay would not actually fill out the forms, it would be passed to a junior. Which is fair enough - we don't neccessarily know when an apprentice services our vehicles.

You are quite right to say it is only easy when we have a co-operative subject, with all their marbles in order. Wherein lies the point of the initial post. If the subject is unable to make a decision, you CANNOT arrange LPA, it is too late. One then has to organise it through the court system, which entails an expensive lawyer AND a solicitor must oversee the arrangement in perpetuity (or until the subject passes away).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back