Bracket on main incoming gas pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening all

Our gas meter is located in the corner of our lounge and there is a strange looking bracket fitted to the incoming main pipe which i could do with removing to patch a hole in the floor around the pipe.

The bracket looks similar to an immersion heater spanner (only much smaller) and is secured to the pipe by means of a saddle type clip. The bracket is only secured to the pipe and is not fixed to the wall or meter in any way, it is effectivley just hanging there.

Would it be safe/sensible to remove this bracket? It would make patching the floor and stopping the draught much easier if it was out of the way.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

ATB

BP

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the quick reply. I would have liked to have posted a picture with my original post but i am not sure how its done so i was hoping someone may recognise it from the description.

ATB

BP

Sponsored Links
Not part of a normal meter or service installation .Looks like some sort of old earthing spike

Thanks for your replies Gents

Took it off and for what its worth, it had "WARNING JOINT SERVICE DIRECT" stamped on to it, does that mean anything to you?. No sign of any problems since it was removed and there is a lot less of a draught now the floor is patched.

Thanks again for your help.

ATB

BP

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back