How to bend fixed copper radiator pipe / rad brackets - help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me the best way to bend a copper rad pipe that is fixed in position.

Let me explain, I have had my lounge gutted - rad removed, new floor, fire, new plaster skim on wall/ceiling etc. A complete gutting job. The room is now finished - all decorating complete, floor fitted, skirting back etc. It looks the dogs b***cks, well at least I think so. The last thing for me to do is put the rad back and connect. The one thing that I forgot about given all the work involved in the room is that the rad is now sitting further away from the wall as a result of the plaster skim therefore the pipes coming through my new floor are not lining up correctly. There is some play in one of the pipes and I should be able to connect this but the other pipe is a struggle. Is there a way to bend the pipe while it is in position without kinking the pipe? I have no access under the floor as I have fitted a new floor and just spent an age fitting and painting skirting that I will not be removing for a long time. If the pipe can't be bent can you get different size rad brackets that would bring the rad closer to the wall?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Check your existing rad brackets. Most have choice of fitting that sits rad close or further away from wall.

Sponsored Links
take the brackets off, channel the new plaster, replace the brackets and the radiator is now back in the original position .

scaby. Simple and prob the best idea it saves breaking joint as you think i can pull this just a bit more..

thanks, I have just swapped the brackets around but no joy. I had thought of channelling around each bracket but thought there may be an easier way. And yes I know what you mean the temptation is there to put more pressure on the pipe but I know this will break the joint or kink the pipe.

Is it not possible to modify the brackets - i.e trim a few mm of the front and cut new slots (assuming they are that sort of bracket).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back