Brake Cliper slide pin grease

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have used red grease in the past but have heard silicone paste is a better option?
I asked for this at a local motor spares shop and was given a tube of Mintex Ceratec and was told that this would do the job.

Although it states on the tube for brake discs, has anybody used this on their new pads and more importantly slide pins.

Regards

Sponsored Links
You need a grease that withstands hot and cold temperatures. That's why the main one used is Copper Ease.

Rubber grease or ceramic grease is great for the slider pins.....mineral greases may rot the rubbers, depending on what they are made from. The ceramic grease is also excellent for the backs of pads, disc to hub contact and any other sliding part of the brake system.
John :)

I don't think red rubber grease will withstand the temperatures. AFAIK it is still refined from vegetable oils.

I used to like copper grease because even after the grease has burned away (e.g. exhaust manifold nuts) the copper dust remains and resists seizing, but I don't use it so much now because it encourages corrosion of aluminium, and is not suitable for stainless.

The new ceramic greases seem cleaner in use, and have an amazing temperature range. They are non-conducting which may be necessary on ABS brakes.

Sponsored Links
For pin sliders the rubber grease is fine- if the temperature was so high the rubber would degrade too.
I've nothing against coppaslip really but it's old hat now. I used it frequently in the past but 12 months later there was no trace on places like the caliper to bracket lands.
The white ceramic does it for me!

Very rarely do I strip the slider pins anyway these days, they don't seem to seize any more. Coppaslip did rot the rubber boots in the days gone by.

Hi

I have used red grease in the past but have heard silicone paste is a better option?
I asked for this at a local motor spares shop and was given a tube of Mintex Ceratec and was told that this would do the job.

Although it states on the tube for brake discs, has anybody used this on their new pads and more importantly slide pins.

Regards
For slide pins I use white grease from

Witham Oil & Paint Ltd.
Outer Circle Road,
Lincoln LN2 4HL.
Tel: 01522 521192
Fax: 01522 560228

£7.85 in 2009 for 500gm tin (incl postage). It says stern tube grease on the tin (for boats), but they assured me it's the right stuff. At least it's white, like the original grease, and it's always been OK.

I'd be reluctant to use mineral grease on slide pins, in case it attacked the rubber boots. Red rubber grease probably OK, I doubt if the guide pins get hot enough to cause a problem, they're quite some distance from the disc and pads.

I use rubber grease on the sliders.

Have seen where people have used coppa slip and it ends up drying out and causing the sliders to stick.

As said you'll never get the slider pin area hot enought to melt rubber grease imho.

Sponsored Links
Back