Brake Light Failure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a '52 plate Ford Fiesta Finesse. I was followed yesterday by someone I know who later told me that I have no brake lights. The car has three brake lights, one on either side and a high level light above the back window. I've checked the fuse which is fine (assuming there is just one fuse for the brake lights and its the one labelled STOP???) and I intend to check the bulbs (is it likely all three bulbs would fail at the same time?? - i don't remember ever replacing a brake light so they are all getting up for 7years old now?) If the bulbs are OK does anyone have any suggestions where i should look next? Does anyone know where the wires are routed in a Fiesta from the front of the car to the lights at the rear as we used the car to go camping recently and i had the back seats up to get everything in - could i have damaged the wires or pulled apart a connector under the rear seat somewhere?

I assume there isn't really much to the brake light system other than a swtich on the brake pedal, a fuse, three bulbs and some wire????

Sponsored Links
The brake lamp switch is situated at the top of the brake pedal, and you'll probably find that its burnt out. Dead easy to replace, too! Cheers John

Thanks john, I had a nosey round last night and found the switch on the brake pedal - it was going to be my next point of call after checking the bulbs.

If the fuse is ok, then the next logical place to look is the switch on the pedal.
If you bridge the 2 wires and turn ignition on you should get lights, if you do then it's the switch

Sponsored Links
Cheers neo - might try the switch before the bulbs then - for one thing, it's much easier to get to than the bulbs are!!

Thanks for the advice guys - tried bypassing the switch and still no lights - turned out all three brake lights have blown. Problem solved anyway.

Wot - all 3 bulbs blown at once?? Now thats a first, even for me :eek: Any others blown? Side / number plate etc?

imo if all the bulbs have blown then you might want to check that you alternator isn't pulsating to 14/15v on the odd occasion that will blow a whole lighting system or at worst burn the wiring out just double check your charge under load!!!! :)

I would be very surprised if the alternator wasn't putting out upto 15V quite a lot of the time.

its a ford i have had to change quite alot of alternators for people because they add a couple of things like sound systems tvs etc and it blows the regulators my transit i had to rewire and alternator just because some idiot before me added a sound system without a cap that was pushing 16v

Thanks for the warning but think its probably OK - none of the other bulbs have gone on the car and the car is nearly 7 years old and this is the first time i've had to replace any bulbs on the rear of the car. To be honest, i never have anyone with me in my car so its not easy to check the brake lights are working - therefore one bulb may have blown months ago and the other only last week - i've no idea - i doubt that they all went together. Also, the alternator was replaced about 2years ago (just one of a long list of parts which have failed on my Fiesta since it was new!!!). I haven't added anything to the car at from its original spec either, i don't even have a car charger for my phone!!

Introducing the sad B*stards guide to car bulb failure....
If the bulb looks whitish inside - its due to air ingress
If the filiament has broken at the end its a vibration problem
If the filiament has broken in the centre, its an excess voltage problem
If the bulb looks black its either excess voltage or age related, due to heat build up....
I guess its a slow news day!!
Cheers John

Wot - all 3 bulbs blown at once??
No, he says 3 bulbs failed in 7 years. Or since he last checked them (when was that?)

You're correct John, first time any of the bulbs have needed replacing in almost 7 years. Can't remember when i last checked they were working but we're talking several months.

I've replaced the two bulbs at either side but the high level brake light i'm still not sure how to get to. The MOT is due soon, does anyone know if it will fail without the high level light working or will the two brake lights at either side be sufficient for it to pass the MOT?

The MOT is due soon, does anyone know if it will fail without the high level light working or will the two brake lights at either side be sufficient for it to pass the MOT?

Technically, if it's fitted it needs to be working. So your options are fix it, or remove it !

Sponsored Links
Back