Brand New Extension; Very Cold Floor!! Due to No compacted Hardcore??

It will be warmer having the insulation under the concrete.
The concrete will still need to dry out above the damp proof sheet

Sponsored Links
In general, what I found is when I put my hand up against the wall in the extn, immediately above the skirting, the wall is colder than the wall higher above it. That is about a foot above the skirting is quite cold. In the old building this is not the case whereby there is no temperature difference on the wall itself.

Last edited:
Did the insulation in the wall cavity go down below floor level?
thanks for your reply tony1851,
I couldn't really say whether it did or not (other than asking the builder). From your question, am I correct to assume this is Building Control requirement??
Also, I had a curtain fitter round yesterday who suggested maybe getting an "Energy Assessor"; do you think this might help at this stage or would they not be able to get a proper measure of "thermal efficiency" at this stage.
Cheers,
Jon.

Sponsored Links
If insulation has been missed off lower down, it's not a Building Control issue, rather than one of quality, which is the builder's responsibility; Building Control can't inspect every aspect of the work.

Don't bother with an energy assessor - not relevant.

If insulation has been missed off lower down, it's not a Building Control issue, rather than one of quality, which is the builder's responsibility; Building Control can't inspect every aspect of the work.

Don't bother with an energy assessor - not relevant.
I have now cranked up the thermostat in the hall by another 3 degrees and this brought the temperature up by 3 deg on day one (from 17 to 20 deg); however day 2 and it was only up by 2 deg. In the hallway and everywhere else the temp. rise remained constant. I gather from this, the extra heat in the hallway where the thermostat is located held heat nicely and therefore the boiler didn't fire up as much, this means the extn. isn't holding heat efficiently. All the rads in the old house are down to 2 or 3 on the TRV otherwise temp there goes to 25/26 deg!!
Cheers,
Jon.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back