building regulations and lowering sub floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'd like to just check something with experienced professionals.
We've had some works done to our house, extension and interior alterations. For this we made a planning application which was accepted. That work has all been completed and we are about to have the final inspection from Building Control to sign off the work. There's one bit of work we did that wasn't on the planning application and the inspector has not yet seen. I'm not quite sure if we need to bring it up with the inspector or not - we replaced the ground floor slab and slightly lowered our ground floor. The final floor level is now 100 mm lower than it was originally. My understanding is interior works on sub-floors do not need planning permission but I'm not sure if we need to discuss it with the building inspector.

For clarification, we dug out the sub-floor to remove the old and very poorly done concrete slab (some of the floor was just screed straight onto soil - no slab at all!). We did all this work ourselves, although our builder did offer his advice to make sure we didn't make any mistakes. Our sub floor in order from top to bottom:
Screed (with anticrack fibres) with UFH pipes (~75 mm thick)
Vapour membrane
Insulation border around exterior walls between screed and brickwork.
PIR boards (foil backed 100 mm), tightly taped together
Concrete slab with overlapping reinforced steel mesh (100 mm thick)
1200mm gauge polythene DPM lapped up the walls to the top of the screed
Sand blinding (50 mm) (wacked down with a wacker plate)
Hardcore (~100 mm) wacked down
In half of the house's footprint we hit the chalk bedrock, so the hardcore layer ranges from 0 - 100 mm. I didn't fancy trying to dig out the chalk.

When the inspector comes to sign off the other parts of the build that were in the original planning permission, do I need to bring up the lowering of our ground floor and rebuilding of the sub-floor and slab? If he doesn't ask about it I'd rather not discuss as I'm not a professional builder, we were a bit stingy with the hardcore thickness in places, and I don't have much in the way of proof of the work we did.

Any advice?

Sponsored Links
When the inspector comes to sign off the other parts of the build that were in the original planning permission, do I need to bring up the lowering of our ground floor and rebuilding of the sub-floor and slab? If he doesn't ask about it I'd rather not discuss as I'm not a professional builder, we were a bit stingy with the hardcore thickness in places, and I don't have much in the way of proof of the work we did.

Any advice?

in theory it shouldve been part of the building regulation app and inspected as part of the scheme.

my advice is keep quiet -if it wasnt inspected, you run the risk of BC asking you dig an inspection hole to see the construction.

by the way -it has nothing to do with planning.

Thanks. Blimey, I really don't want to be digging inspection holes.
Hopefully he won't notice. I don't think he needs to come inside for the final inspection as he's only got to assess the drains test.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back