Upstands

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi DYINOT Forum,

We are currently building out the floor of our Kitchen Extension. I have a question about UPSTANDS. The plan is to have underfloor heating with a layer of screed etc.

The specification we got from our Architects / Engineer for building out the floor is set out below.

Ground Floor Construction Build up

Topsoil and vegetable matter to be cleared from site and floor to be in filled with minimum

150mm/maximum 600mm clean sand blinded compacted hardcore. A 300um (1200g) continuous polythene DPM taped and lapped at all joints to be provided over blinded hardcore linked to DPC's in walls. Floor to be insulated with 75mm Celotex FR5000 'U' value not more than 0.22w/m²kº, provided under a 150mm ground bearing concrete floor slab with 25mm up stands to the external walls,65- 75mm screed topping to incorporate under floor heating. Insulation to be omitted and concrete thickness increased in areas where non-load bearing partitions are built off the floor slab as applicable.

Insulation: Perimeter/Area ratio; 23 ÷ 26.7= 0.86M

Foundations to Structural Engineer’s details depth depending on sub-soil conditions and to be agreed on

site with the Building Control Surveyor. Foundation depths in relation to trees to be in accordance with

NHBC Practice Note 4.2

The point I am confused about is this thing called the "Upstands." I have drawn 2 diagrams which try to illustrate the above specification.

In your experience is an Up-stand a layer of 25mm Insulation or a "strip" that sits between a perimeter wall and the floor?

Diagram 1 shows it as a layer of insulation and diagram 2 shows it as a strip against the wall.

Thank you for your help!

Nexus

Attachments

• IMG_20180822_111124.jpg
    IMG_20180822_111124.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 798
  • IMG_20180822_111240.jpg
    IMG_20180822_111240.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 1,303
Sponsored Links
Last edited:
In case it’s not clear, the upstand is the bit labelled “insulation strip at screed perimeter” in Freddy’s excellent diagram.

I note that your spec says to omit insulation under internal walls, but to have upstands only at external walls. That seems a bit odd to me; if it’s really necessary to omit insulation under internal walls (which surprises me a bit), I’d suggest that you have those upstands also for internal walls especially as you have UFH. But I’m not an expert!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back