Floor options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are in the process of building an extension. We got builders to provide a watertight shell and we are finishing it off!

The ground floor has a concrete slab which is about 70mm below the level of the existing house which it needs to match. Our original plan was to screed this - but not sure about doing this ourselves?

Are there other options such as adding a layer of insulation (60mm) and laying a chipboard floor (20mm) or putting wooden battens down and laying the chipboard on top. We don't actually need any more insulation as the slab is already insulated to comply with regs, but my worry with battens is getting them all level from a not very smooth concrete slab.

Any thoughts welcomed!

Sponsored Links
Why don't you want to do a screed? The additional floor insulation will do little in terms of heat loss as nowadays compliant floor insulation is already pretty good. Better off spending the money to improve insulation elsewhere or spend a bit extra on nicer light fittings or something else at the end if you have some cash to spare.

Thanks, the insulation was really just to make up the levels. If I didn't use insulation I would have to use battens.

Sponsored Links
Are there other options such as adding a layer of insulation (60mm) and laying a chipboard floor (20mm) or putting wooden battens down and laying the chipboard on top

These are of course options, although many people on here would say junk the chipboard and go for ply. Would save an awful lot of mixing and levelling, especially if you are somewhat uncertain.

but my worry with battens is getting them all level from a not very smooth concrete slab.

Well, if you want to do it yourself, you will have to weigh up the two concerns. Obviously easier to rectify problems with the batten/chipboard/plywood option.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back