Brand new Paragon One Fire not lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a new fire installed on 1/8/12. Due to mild weather we have only had it on two or three times since then. Went to put it on this morning and can't get the burners to light.

It has a side slider control which you hold down for 20 seconds before releasing. During this time it clicks, the pilot ignites within 1 or 2 seconds, but the instructions say to hold for this period before releasing, obviously to allow the thermocouple to heat, and then the gas to flow and ignite the burners. When you release it the slider pops up a bit and the fire is then meant to come on. You then adjust it up for a higher flame.

I am following above instructions. The pilot stays on, I can hear the gas but have no flames. If I adjust the slider up the pilot stays on but still no flames.

I am going to call the shop who installed it but they are not open until 10am, so am hoping someone on the forum may be able to advise before then, just in case I am doing something totally wrong. Thankyou

Sponsored Links
Sometimes you move the control to a different operate position. But I am not familiar with your model.

However, its after 10 am now and the shop is open!

Tony

Thought I'd have one more try before I called the shop and the fire worked! Sod's law. Going to make a point of having it on and off over the weekend to see of it's just us failing to operate it properly. If we both still continue to have problems then I'll call the shop on Monday.

In the meantime I would still appreciate any helpful comments or advice from you guys. Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Decided to call the shop which is 20 minutes drive away. Engineer was just about to come in from another job and send him up. He has just left, 35 minutes from calling. Fire now AOK.

Diagnosis -
1) piece of coal had slipped down and was stopping burner from igniting
2) instructions in book not accurate. Having followed these the engineer advised me to then give the slider one last wee firm push downwards then release it. Not sure if this is because I have a cast iron trim and therefore had to get an extended slider fitted. Anyway, hey presto the fire lights no problem.

As Agile said, it's just a case of a different operating position. We'd had the same fire for 24 years, so just need to get used to the new one.

Just wanted to give an update in case any Paragon One owner has the same problem, or is as thick as me, lol!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back