Brand new unvented system or update old system? Confused

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Just looking for some friendly advice.

We moved into a new house about 8 weeks ago and there are a couple of obvious issues/problems with the heating/hot water.

The system is a regular gas boiler, vented hot water and cold water tanks in the loft. House is Master Bathroom, En-Suite, Kitchen and downstairs cloakroom. Only me and my wife so no need for 2-3 showers going at the same time.

First problem is for some reason the hot water tank is very small and we can only just get 1 shower out of it.

Second is we would like to do a loft conversion soon and there are 2 50L cold water tanks in the loft. Now form what I have read this is a bit of an overkill.

So I was planning the following

1. Replacement of hot water tank - nice new insulated 140L Tank
2. Replacement of 2 old cold water tanks with 1 new 50L Tank

When complete the house will have 2 showers. I have used Aqualisa Quartz showers before and we have been very happy.

Now he boiler is about 8 years old. I am sure I can get a more efficient boiler but this can come in a few years. In my mind no rush.

So I had a plumber out this evening to discuss my options. This was not the best idea

He would not just replace the hot and cold tanks but wanted to take me to unvented hot water, this would also need the 20m of incoming pipe-work to be upgraded to 25mm Pipe. The total cost of this including new condensing boiler was £8.5K.

I am sure he would have fitted a very good bang up to date system but it all seemed rather an overkill to me and also about £7.5k more than I was expecting!

As far as I can tell me original plans are quite valid and for not a huge expense would give me a perfectly good system that meets my needs?

Have I got it all wrong?

Ben

Sponsored Links
Hi All

Just looking for some friendly advice.

We moved into a new house about 8 weeks ago and there are a couple of obvious issues/problems with the heating/hot water.

The system is a regular gas boiler, vented hot water and cold water tanks in the loft. House is Master Bathroom, En-Suite, Kitchen and downstairs cloakroom. Only me and my wife so no need for 2-3 showers going at the same time.

First problem is for some reason the hot water tank is very small and we can only just get 1 shower out of it.

Second is we would like to do a loft conversion soon and there are 2 50L cold water tanks in the loft. Now form what I have read this is a bit of an overkill.

So I was planning the following

1. Replacement of hot water tank - nice new insulated 140L Tank
2. Replacement of 2 old cold water tanks with 1 new 50L Tank

When complete the house will have 2 showers. I have used Aqualisa Quartz showers before and we have been very happy.

Now he boiler is about 8 years old. I am sure I can get a more efficient boiler but this can come in a few years. In my mind no rush.

So I had a plumber out this evening to discuss my options. This was not the best idea

He would not just replace the hot and cold tanks but wanted to take me to unvented hot water, this would also need the 20m of incoming pipe-work to be upgraded to 25mm Pipe. The total cost of this including new condensing boiler was £8.5K.

I am sure he would have fitted a very good bang up to date system but it all seemed rather an overkill to me and also about £7.5k more than I was expecting!

As far as I can tell me original plans are quite valid and for not a huge expense would give me a perfectly good system that meets my needs?

Have I got it all wrong?

Ben

Uprate the cold supply to 25mm, then fit a high flowrate combi like the Ethos. A quality product and it will deliver the goods and at a fraction of that £8K.

Uprate the cold supply to 25mm, then fit a high flowrate combi like the Ethos. It will deliver the goods and at a faction of that £8K.

My concern there is the 20m of garden that needs to be dug-up and the quoted £1500.

I suppose I cannot see the huge benefit of going this way.

Maybe I am old fashioned but I am quite happy with stored hot water and stored cold water. A couple of pumped showers will do my fine.

I will upgrade to a condensing boiler in the next couple of years.

Ben

Uprate the cold supply to 25mm, then fit a high flowrate combi like the Ethos. It will deliver the goods and at a faction of that £8K.

My concern there is the 20m of garden that needs to be dug-up and the quoted £1500.

I suppose I cannot see the huge benefit of going this way.

Once the main pipe is uprated it is done forever.

Now, what is the static pressure of the main pipe in bar? What is it coming in? Lead, copper, plastic? What size? 1/2"? Measure what the flow rate is in litres per minute using a watch and bucket from the garden tap or kitchen tap.

Sometimes a full bore stoptap and a dedicated 22mm pipe from the stoptap to the combi is all you need. ...and that is not expensive.

Or fit a cold water accumulator which will cost around £500 - far less than £1,500. This is cols water storage at the static mains pressure. No cold tank in the loft, no hot water cylinder. Just a high flow combi and the accumulator. Even when a water cut you have cold water storage.

Sponsored Links
If this 'plumber' won't do the job you are asking for then get someone else :rolleyes:

Stories like this really pee me off. You are paying him good money, so you have what you want. :mad:

If you are recommended a different system, then that is your choice.

I give my customers all options at the site visit/quote, along with my recommendation, but at the end of the day as long as I have explained them all to them, warts and all, it is up to them to decide what to go for ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back