Brass screws needed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About 5 years ago i'd boxed in some pipes in the bathroom. The paint and wood filler over the screws lifted off over time, exposing the now rusty heads. Should i sink new screws in further or Should i use brass screws then refill with filler again?

Sponsored Links
I would put new screws in. Have you thought of using stainless steel screws-stronger than brass but wont rust. Then just re-fill.

Personally I'd replace with stainless but that's mainly because you can only get brass scews slotted and I detest with a vengeance, slotted screws. But that's just me.

Sponsored Links
It is possible to get brass pozi's but they are soft and chew up very easily. You need to put in a steel screw first , remove it then put in the brass pozi :rolleyes:
I'd go with stainless too. Stainless pozi's are also softer than steel but are fine with care or the proper bit.
I actually don't mind slots and always prefer them on door hinges for instance as they look better, and I also find them easier to remove especially if filled and painted over, so much easier to clean out a slot or punch it round if necessary.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back