Break plaster? Skim over? What to do. Pictures

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please advise how I should handle the following scenarios.

1)this is a door opening. Loads of cracks but solid. The previous owner papers over it. Should I just skim and pull off any weak spots? Pva and bond any exposed brick.
IMG_7621.JPG

2) bathrooms with plasterboard below. Should I rip off plasterboard or just clean with sugar water.
IMG_7630.JPG

3) this is kicthen area.i have ripped all
Loose plaster off and plan on PVA,bond and then skim it.
IMG_7619.JPG

4)chimney, simple pva bond and skim

IMG_7623.JPG

Sponsored Links
Yes to all except I can't see any plasterboard in (2). Bonding or hardwall is a bit easier to put on and get straight

Take off any loose material, pva 3 to 1 the wall (possibly twice) then bond to make level with the existing plaster, then skim the whole wall. With the chimney breast, pva and bond the wall, then add angel bead to the corners, and finally skim all sides.

What about a vent and a swept flue in the chimney breast? If active salts are present in the flu then they could eventually blow any plaster?

Sponsored Links
That would have happened by now if t was going to, and it would have followed the line of the flue. This just looks to be various remedial jobs.

Not so - there was possibly a vent in place - now patched in.

People experienced in remedial work understand that its always necessary to vent and sweep/smoke test because future ambient (read moisture) and "structural" conditions could change.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back