Break squeak - are SEAT garage talking nonsense?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I break at traffic lights etc, the breaks give a loud squeak.
This never really happened until the one year service of my SEAT Ibiza 1.9 TDI Sport.
They did nothing to do with the breaks at the service.

They've "offered" to strip down the breaking system and clean it for about £90.

Funnily enough, some people with a Leon the same age were there at the same time complaining of break noise.
They told them it was the way they were washing the car and that they were "forcing grit into the breaks".
Of course it's a bit difficult as you have to speak to some dolly bird and never get to speak to the actual mechanic.

Im not planning to waste £100.
What should we be doing when washing the car wheels with bucket and hose?
Some sites say don't wash the brakes area as it'll cause a thin layer of rust. Other say do it as it cleans them out.

Sponsored Links
usual culprits for brake squeal are seriously worn pads/shoes or a lack of copper slip on the rear of the pads. the brakes can't be worn as they surely would have replaced them at the service.

why dont you take it somewhere cheaper for an investigation? to strip down front brakes and wire brush off any carp plus a liberal smear of copper on the rear of the pads would only take me 30-40 mins in total for both sides.

the washing thing is a load of carp too, have a think about how much water the front wheels get on them when you drive in the rain. all brakes will rust eventually no matter what you do, its hardly a major concern.

Get a tin of brake cleaner from halfrauds and give the whole lot a good squirt. It's probably just a build up of brake dust making it squeel.
If it's been in for a service, they should have checked the pads and discs for wear so shouldn't be that

Sponsored Links
Yes, it's a few weeks over a year old.

They seem to do less and less at the service.
I thought the idea of a service was to make sure your car is running properly.

Of course there's always the chance that SEATs have a general problem with the brakes that they're trying to cover up.

It should still be under warranty then. If that's the case I wouldn't touch it myself, instead I'd take it back to the dealer and complain that it has noisy brakes.

[if your pads are woren they can have a littel movement wich can cose them to squeak puting some copper slip on the back of the pads dampens the nose had same porb with my corsa

Back