breaking through, worth the effort to use dust screens

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to break through and dreading the mess. is it worth the effort to put up some kind of dust shield/screen? it will be me doing the cleaning up afterwards! and its my house so keep that in mind.

if so what are my options.. I'd sooner spend 1 hour putting up something than 4 hours cleaning over 3 days.

Sponsored Links
If you plan to use a grinder or Stihl saw, then yes probably. Or at least close the doors to all the rooms and be prepared to dust and hoover EVERYTHING every day for the next week.

I broke a new doorway with a hammer and chisel to avoid exactly this problem.

Sponsored Links
You will not avoid dust no matter what method of removal. Plus, whoever does the knock-through will need regular access through some kind of opening, so avoiding the spread of dust is impossible. Best you can hope for is that the muck and bullets go out of a window in the same room in which they are working.

Faced with chasing out a lot of channels in walls while keeping the dust out of other rooms I fitted a large extractor fan on a plywood panel that fitted the window frame. This stopped dust getting under the door and into other rooms. Only down side was the green lawn become red with brick dust.

Jeez, haven't builders these days ever heard of wet cutting?

ooh wet cutting sounds good well apart from the water bit. pRob lemon is I know he has a stihl saw.. and it doesn't have any kind of water on it. link .exchange up.. maybe I cod hire one for him.

You have to wet saw onsite now as concrete dust is carcinogenic; it's quite funny to watch one lacky pumping away behind a guy with a saw.

They work quite well and don't produce anywhere as much mess as dry cutting or connecting a hose pipe to it like we always used to. Everything used to get wet and covered in red brick sludge.

You have to wet saw onsite now as concrete dust is carcinogenic; it's quite funny to watch one lacky pumping away behind a guy with a saw.

They work quite well and don't produce anywhere as much mess as dry cutting or connecting a hose pipe to it like we always used to. Everything used to get wet and covered in red brick sludge.
I spoke to the guy cutting through and he is happy for me to get this for him to use. Its about £45 for a week with a cutting blade and the bottle/pump.

I'd second the fan in the window idea. I tried this first with a "15l/s" bathroom fan and it didn't work, but I now have a very powerful ex cooker hood fan to play with!
They do almost the same thing when clearing asbestos from buildings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back