Breathable or Non Breathable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I'm trying to build a screen/wall at one end of my patio out of pallet wood.

As per a number of how-to's online the easiest way to build it is to nail-gun the pallet wood to some OSB.

Seeing as this is outdoors I feel I need to do something with the OSB.
I know it's going to get some protection from the elements from the pallet wood but that's only the front and I don't want to be re-doing it in a few years time.

I have considered bitumen paint, but I'm worried about what might happen on the odd hot day of the year.

My other idea is to literally wrap the OSB in a roofing membrane.
I'm thinking of wrapping it up on all sides and using a staple gun to keep it in place before nailing on the pallet wood.

If the staple gun is a bad idea I guess I could use duck tape or some kind of water proof tape?

Given this isn't the typical use for a breather membrane I'm looking for advice on whether I should use breathable or non-breathable.

I'm trying to keep the cost down so I'm hoping some non-breathable (Sark IT) will do?

It's not like it's going on the roof of a house, so there shouldn't be any warm/moist air rising from underneath it that would need to breath.

I guess as long as the OSB is bone dry before I wrap it up that would be okay? Or is there something about OSB that's going to sweat if I wrap it up like this?

What do you think guys, would this work?

TIA,

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back