Breathable or non-breathable membrane?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
My pitched roof is going to need a refurbishment soon and am wondering what is the best membrane to replace the old underfelt with, breathable or non-breathable. It is a tiled roof.

Many thanks in advance,

Gary.

Sponsored Links
You can never have enough ventilation in a roof so breathable everytime. Even if you have existing vents at the eaves.

I'm about to put breathable on a rear extension. First time I've used it - can't believe how thin it is, but it seems to be very very resistant to tearing.

The reason I thought I'd add to the thread (it's not a hijack really!) is:

a) the instructions recommend using double sided tape to join all laps - Do roofers actually tend do this? I don't see why this would be any different a situation to mineral felt? I'm trying to get it up in drizzle so don't fancy my chances of the tape working well.

b) Where my new extension fly-in forms a valley with the existing roof I'm a valley is formed. I could line the valley in breathable or mineral (I have rolls of both) - which of the two is seen as the most hard wearing option in what could be a high-traffic area?

Cheers

Gary

Sponsored Links
Tape may also help stop bits flapping about particularly on larger batten spacings.

We don't bother though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back